Internet connection disconnects during the day

Reaction score
My internet connection goes off during the day I am using a wifi connection on my imac on 10.5.6. this started happening about 4 weeks ago

Works fine from about 6 pm each night to 7 in the morning! The computer can see the network but won't connect

I can get access via my ibook running on 10.4.11 at all times using the same wifi connection

Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's happening during the day where you have your machine? Look for sources of interference such as a cordless phone, microwave oven, other networks operating close by, and so forth. If this started happening 4 weeks ago, do some detective work. Did you install any hardware, software, updates, to the machine?

Check the connection during the day by hooking an ethernet cable from your router to the machine. Is the connection OK with the ethernet cable plugged in?

Check all your Airport settings. Make sure nothing has changed. Use the network "assist me" dialog.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for your advice have checked with connection with a ethernet cable all OK

This morning Airport has detected another network - must be a neighbour, the only software installed are upgrades from Apple. Have checked airport settings and they are the same. When I try and connect via Airport it can see the router remembers the password but won't let me join.

Have re set the router, created another network with the same settings etc.

It sounds like it may be interference from this other network - how do I get the computer to overcome this?

Colette

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I had this exact problem for weeks and hadn't been able to get to it until recently. An tech walked me through a few things, (network config just to make sure) and when we saw that everything was the way it should have been, she suggested that I simply change the channel because of possible interference. I haven't had time to do extensive testing, but there have been no more drop outs while doing normal things.

I don't have my Airport Extreme on right now (using neighbor's connection) but from what I recall, go to applications, then Airport Utilities and there should be a tab or button which goes to where you're able to switch the channel. By default, it might be set to Automatic. Change it to 3, make sure to apply the settings first before closing the window and then hard boot your Mac. Try that, lemmie know.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
Di Doug

I think I have not stated fully what equipment I have, I do not have Airport / Airport Extreme base station so when I have looked at the Airport utilities it does not give me an option to change channel.

Colette

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You need to log into your wireless router's admin page and adjust the channel there then.

If you're unsure of your router's IP address, you can check under 'System Preferences > Network > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP > Router'.

Enter that address into your browser and a page should come up asking your for your router's login and password. Log in and then look for "Wireless / WLAN / 802.11" options. There should be a channel setting there somewhere.

Change it to a number that's quite a bit higher than it is now and see if that helps. (e.g. if it's currently set to "1" try it on "11").

OP
S
Reaction score
Just changed the setting to the highest channel (was on automatic) and it has worked.

Great, many thanks !

Reaction score
Hey Skembird,
So you fixed your problems by changing the channel on your router?
I am having the exact same issues about being disconnected all day but ok overnight..
I'm also having trouble joining the network I created! It won't let my imac on but will allow a pc laptop.. Maybe a mac filter on that router admin page..
But I'm hoping once I figure out how to get to that channel changing, my problems will be solved!

No dice...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.