New Harddrive

Reaction score
I need to replace the hard drive of my iMac, is there any specific brand that I should use.

What Brand does Apple use as standard, if any.

I would like to use the best quality out there

Thanks Antony

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No particular brand is required, Apple uses the same hard drives as are used in any PC. I personally prefer either Seagate or WD as both carry 5 year warranties and generally have good customer and technical support.

Just be sure you purchase a drive which is compatible with your iMac. Since you didn't mention what iMac, I'll assume you need a SATA drive. Check out the drives and prices at OWC:

Hard Drives for SATA, IDE, ATA - Notebook Hard Drives, Desktop Hard Drives, Internal and External Options with FireWire, USB2, eSATA and more at OtherWorldComputing.com

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
CHSCAG thanks for the info, I have a white 24' iMac I have been told it needs a sata drive.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
You could always buy a hard drive from NewEgg instead. Hard drives are exactly the same across all platforms - there's nothing to distinguish a "Mac hard drive" from any other. NewEgg's prices are often (but not always) better. Just an idea.

Any brand should be fine although I'd be cautious about getting a Seagate because of recent firmware problems. I'd go Western Digital for speed, Hitachi for low noise, or Samsung for low cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.