Music apps taking advantage of C2D? Atari person here...

Reaction score
Hi. I am a daily Windows user. I built a PC a while back as a fun project and since then I have used it for the web and random other stuff. But for music I get serious. A little background may be in order. I used an Atari with Cubase for years to sequence all of my analog synth hardware. (Kenton Pro 2000MKII is a Godsend!) I love the timing that Atari midi has. But after my second Atari 1040ST died, I am a little leary of ebaying another 20 year old over-priced Atari computer. I know(from experience in trying) that a Windows system can not get me there with all the background processes running and whatnot. It just will not!

In comes the Mac idea! The multi-media virtuoso of modern computing!

What I am wondering is, is there a Mac app that can take full advantage of the core2duo power to give midi timing the dedication it deserves? Ideally in my mind 1 core would be running midi, while on the flip-side the other deals with recording the stereo signal my mixer is giving it. No need for soft-synths or multi-track recording. Just simple sequencing and stereo recording are all I am looking for. And it has to be perfect, 100%.

My music-craft is the only thing in my life I am so anal about. I am willing to bet that there are others out there like me too.

So, should I get one of those new White Macbooks? (Don't even get me started in a debate about Atari hardware specs VS current 2009 Mac hardware specs. Your mind would be blown!)

Love and Peace
Unit Black Flight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
My 2.66Ghz C2D iMac handles 20 simultanous Midi tracks at once without breaking a sweat, and it's also downloading a torrent, checking my mail, and bouncing the song to iTunes. I don't think you will have any issues, CoreAudio is designed to take CPU priority when you have a DAW or MIDI editor open. Modern DAWs allow you to lock the midi once you have it edited the way you like, which uses a lot less CPU resources. You will find your Atari VERY obsolete after using lowly little Garageband the first time, not to mention if you got serious and got Logic or Cubase for it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.