Sonnet Encore 1.4GHz DOA ?

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas? Trying to get my Digital Audio 733MHz Overclocked to 800MHz (Tiger 10.4.11) running on a Sonnet Encore 1.4GHz. I have the latest Boot ROM Version 4.2.8f1 Installed the Sonnet Updates, I can hear the fans run and hard drive spin up but nothing else happens. Monitor stays dark. Could the Overclocking have anything to do with it not working? I also read somewhere that you need to do some firmware updates in OS9 but I believe thats no longer the case with Tiger. I don't have OS9 installed at all. Am I missing a step? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
first thing i would try is to reset the PRAM hold Command+Option+P+R all at the same time right after the startup sound and continue to hold them through 2 more startup sounds.

i installed a similar processor in my G4 sawtooth and it has been awhile but i recall having to install OS 9 first and do a firmware upgrade from apple. i see you have installed already but maybe it didnt work without OS 9?

here is link to the firmware upgrade for your digital audio.

i am not sure that is your problem but it is what i had to do with mine.

wish i had better answers for you but it took me hours to figure out how to get mine running and OS 9 was just one of the things i did so i am not 100% sure that was the answer.

good news is that it has been running for more than a year now with Leopard. so when you figure it out you will be surprised on how well it runs.

hope that helps

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I'll give resetting the Pram a try, although when I have restarted with the new (used) processor I don't get the startup chime. The hard part will be finding a copy of OS 9, I see them on Ebay for 40.00 , I have a 30 day guarantee on this processor so I have some time to play with it. I though this would be more "Plug and Play" there's no Info on this 1.4GHz processor on Sonnet anymore, they seem to be rare. Tempted to sell all my computers and stuff and Get a New Imac. Thanks Again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also try removing the overclocking and your firmware update is just fine. That update is required on the original install to OS X and as you are running Tiger it is sweet.

OP
P
Reaction score
Removing Overclocking

How would I go about removing overclocking? It was already overclocked when I got it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Paul that does present a problem as it required soldering resistors etc. You would really have to know what was altered in the machine alas. One problem could be if the System Bus Speed was altered, and the CPU upgrade, being a 133MHz bus speed, cannot work with say an overclocked bus speed of say 167MHz.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Harryb

Hmmm, does this soldering occur on the processor or the motherboard? I could always stick another processor in, motherboards are cheap too, My System Profiler shows the overclocking; CPU Speed: 800 MHz ,, but bus speed doesn't show a change.

OP
P
Reaction score
Oh Yeah,,, And the Pram

Tried resetting the PRAM but it restarted normally while I was holding down the required keys, no second startup tone, I'll try again, maybe if I plug the keyboard directly to the computer instead of to a hub. I'll keep trying, Thanks again Guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes yes yes never ever plug the kb into a hub must be directly into the computer lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.