unwanted startup items

Reaction score
Hello,

Startup Items in System Profiler shows 3 entries that shouldn't be there - 2 for Parallels (I tested it but ended up uninstalling it in favor of VMWare), and 1 for POPFile (not sure where this came from).

None of these items are Login items, so how do I get rid of them?

TIA

OP
MotorcycleBetty
Reaction score
That's just the thing, tho, Harry - these items *don't appear* in the login items list, so I can't remove them from there. I only see them when I'm browsing in the System Profiler

Reaction score
Startup Items in System Profiler shows 3 entries that shouldn't be there - 2 for Parallels (I tested it but ended up uninstalling it in favor of VMWare), and 1 for POPFile (not sure where this came from).

None of these items are Login items, so how do I get rid of them?

I'm not running 10.5, but here's my suggestion from 10.4 experience.
First, when you look at the items listed under System Profiler, what's listed under the "location" column?

The location should be "/Library/StartupItems", because these are third party apps and this is the location they *should* be installed at. You can go to this folder by going to "Macintosh HD - Library - StartupItems" and delete the items. Then restart. You should be good to go.

Reaction score
There are 2 places that contain items which launch on startup.
/Library/StartupItems as said above, and /Library/LaunchDaemons.
Try looking in both places.

OP
MotorcycleBetty
Reaction score
A little late with my reply here, but thank you all for responding.

machkr4vr & cradom, your suggestions were very helpful. The files were found in StartupItems. Nothing was in LaunchDaemons, but now I know to look there in the future.

I find it interesting that the contents of the Library folder differ depending on how you access it (i.e. from Home or from MacintoshHD). Makes things a bit confusing when there are two places with the same name...

Thanks again for your help!

Betty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The difference is because one is a system library and the second the user library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.