2004 Mac Word and Word 2003 Compatibility ?

Reaction score
My partner and I frequently send documents back and forth to each other - She uses Word 2003 for Windows and I have recently converted to Mac Word 2004. Unfortunately, she is unable to open my Mac Word files on her PC- Any suggestions?
thanks
Zabou

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They should be compatible. How are you saving the documents in Word 2004?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
OpenOffice vs. NeoOffice. They're basically the same thing.

That is weird. There's always OpenOffice, which supports all versions of MS Word. :)

OpenOffice rules! I like NeoOffice better, though. NeoOffice is just a version of OpenOffice that is more for Mac. I have the latest versions of both, and I think if you want more presentation backgrounds for your Powerpoint presentations, you should get OpenOffice. But if you are mainly doing text documents, get NeoOffice - it has at least double the amount of special characters. Although if you are on Tiger/10.4 or Leopard/10.5, the special characters don't matter because you can just use the character palette. Basically, NeoOffice is better for text documents, and OpenOffice is better for Presentations.

Beware of formats, though! Text documents in OpenOffice and NeoOffice are saved with the ".odt" extension by default, while Microsoft Word uses the ".doc" extension. You can change the file's format when you save by going down to the bottom of the "Save" dialogue, and selecting "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)" from the dropdown menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.