Question: Should I Buy from Apple store or Apple.com?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Unibody 2.0GHZ 4GB Ram 320GB 7200RPM HD
Hey Guys,

I'm hopefully going to buy my first Mac on Feb. 27th. I'm looking to get the 2.0GHz MB Unibody but I want to know if it's better to get it from apple.com or the actual apple store.

I want to get the 4GB Ram upgrade and I have a student discount but don't know if the store will honor it like the website does. With the student discount letting apple upgrade the Ram is cheaper and less hassle for me but without it I can just buy the ram and do it myself like I plan on doing with the HD.

So, I'm asking as a newbie and hopefully a welcomed new Mac user, which do you guys think is best for me to do, go to the store or order it online?

Thanx in advance for all advice

Reaction score
If it were me I would go to the apple store and use my student discount there. They will sell to you for the same price as .com. I would also install my own ram when doing my hard drive. Make sure you are comfortable working with the air and ask the sales person to show you where the hard drive and ram is located.

OP
BiggieSmalls82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Unibody 2.0GHZ 4GB Ram 320GB 7200RPM HD
Thanx for that info jvette! Glad to know the store will honor the student discount. But I'm gettin the MacBook Unibody, made a newbie mistake by callin it the MBA sorry for the confusion. The ram with the discount is $130 for the upgrade which is roughly the same I would pay at tigerdirect, newegg, etc with shipping and taxes though. Haven't found any place that has cheap DDR3 ram yet especially not two 2GB sticks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Hz 4GB RAM
Enjoy your new MB when you get it...the 4 GB RAM makes a big difference, btw. Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Aluminum) 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
As mentioned already, just get it from the store. They'll honor the student discount and you won't have to wait for shipping!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Well, I would look into it a bit more. Online you get the student discount, but still have to pay tax. Sometimes the tax adds more than the discount is takes off, same with buying in the store. I know here in NC when I priced it, with the student discount, plus taxes, it came out to about even. If you go to a site like amazon, you get no tax and free shipping. I got mine from bhphoto and saved a bit, no shipping fees, and no sales tax added.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Just one point.. if you're having any custom configuration at all it will be assembled in China and shipped to you. This includes HDD's and I believe RAM... call the store and verify. FWIW you can order online and get your student discount too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, Emac
I Love Going Into The Apple Store, They Are Very Friendly And Helpful. Plus They Show You How To Use The Computer And Make Sure You Understand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Custom configuration .com standard issue Apple store I always buy at the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MB 2.4GHz 4GB ram
Yeah I just ordered a unibody mb from apple.com and it shipped out from china. Hopefully I'll be getting it tomorrow if not monday for sure. I'm quite excited as this is also my first mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.5/2gb/250gb
I bought mine at BestBuy. I went there over the local store because I could use my reward zone and accumulate points. I got the teacher / student discount there as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Yeah I just ordered a unibody mb from apple.com and it shipped out from china. Hopefully I'll be getting it tomorrow if not monday for sure. I'm quite excited as this is also my first mac.

Welcome and if your like the rest of us will enjoy it for years and I will not
say trouble free but darn close or closer than anything else i've had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
wish we could our own posts like most forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.