Memory, EEC?

I

IcedOutQMutha

I am going to purchase a memory 1GB memory chip for my new mac mini and I was wondering what does EEC mean? Can I still use this memory?

OP
F

falltime

IcedOutQMutha said:
I am going to purchase a memory 1GB memory chip for my new mac mini and I was wondering what does EEC mean? Can I still use this memory?

By EEC, I'm sure you mean ECC.

ECC stands for Error Checking and Correcting. It is dynamically used in several different areas of computing, one of which includes memory. It is similar to parity, but it is able to correct errors, instead of just detecting them.

ECC RAM's primary application is in servers, and for a short while was the only type of RAM you could use with certain Operton chipsets.

It is NOT compatible with most Apple machines, except for Xserve.

Today's standard memory (Non-ECC) (if purchased from a reputable manufacturer) is very good - they suffer from very few errors, if any, and ECC RAM is generally considered overkill if used in anything but perpetuated mission-critical systems. ECC RAM is also slower than standard memory, and is much more expensive. Many consider that it's price cannot be justified by it's advantages.

If you are looking for memory to put in your Mac, unbuffered memory from Crucial or Corsair is great. You can get great deals at Newegg.com.

OP
I

IcedOutQMutha

Thanks, I just ended up going with crucial since the cheap one (with the ECC in question) only worked with pc's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.