Function Keys: Function Changed

Reaction score
I've had my 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac for ten months now (currently on
OS X 10.5.6) with no major problems, and no minor problems I couldn't solve -- until now!
SOMEHOW, the function keys have changed function. In particular, I have used the F10-F12 keys all this time to change volume or mute sound, as for iTunes. Now the F12 brings up Dashboard, the F11 hides windows of current applications, and F10 no longer mutes.
I must have changed something, but it is eluding me. Any ideas, anyone?!
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
[I think the OS update changed things, not you.] Go to SysPrefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. Click Keyboard Navigation arrow head, scroll down to Dock, Expose and Dashboard. Click the arrow head. Follow the instruction at the top edge of the pane, and customize your keyboard.

Incidentally, are you using an Apple keyboard, and did you previously customize it to have volume etc assigned to those F keys you've mentioned? If you're using a generic PC keyboard (as I do) then F10 - F12 should still work, but not as volume controls. I bought a keyboard that had separate buttons for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Function key - function change

I've had my 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac for ten months now (currently on
OS X 10.5.6) with no major problems, and no minor problems I couldn't solve -- until now!
SOMEHOW, the function keys have changed function. In particular, I have used the F10-F12 keys all this time to change volume or mute sound, as for iTunes. Now the F12 brings up Dashboard, the F11 hides windows of current applications, and F10 no longer mutes.
I must have changed something, but it is eluding me. Any ideas, anyone?!
:(

That sounds like the function keys for OS 10.4. I think that, if you can't change their functions, F4-F6 is volume.

OP
G
Reaction score
Function Key Change

Embarassed to find THE answer myself! In System Preferences / Keyboard & Mouse pane, there is a checkbox indicating "use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys". I found it checked and have now unchecked it, and the familiar functions are back.
I'm sure I saw that checkbox several times, but failed to notice the "etc." which was barely whispering "hey, Bud, this applies to you!" :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.