Installing Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have been given a Power Mac G4, 733Mhz, 512 MB that is currently running OS 9.1.1. It has a cd drive, but I have an external Philips DVD+RW200. I have purchased a new OS tiger (dvd) so that I could upgrade it so that my work will be compatible with the intel mac (running 10.4.11) I also have.

My problem as you've probably guessed, and I just found out off another thread, is that I don't seem to be able to install it because you can't install from an external drive unless it is through firewire (is this true?). The G4 has a firewire port, but my external drive doesn't!!!!

SO, my question is: have I just wasted my money on buying Tiger or is there something else I can do other than having to buy another DVD drive with a firewire?

Please help :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THat G4 should have come with a dvd drive, so installing Tiger should not be a problem (some came with a DC RW though)

that said the Philips drive is an IDE drive, so you might be able to open it up and install it directly inside the G4

the other way might be to clone the tiger install on to an external hard disk and run the installion from that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
THat G4 should have come with a dvd drive, so installing Tiger should not be a problem (some came with a DC RW though)

that said the Philips drive is an IDE drive, so you might be able to open it up and install it directly inside the G4

the other way might be to clone the tiger install on to an external hard disk and run the installion from that
All intel Macs can boot from USB drives, and there is a pretty technical way of getting PowerPC macs to boot from them as well:
macosxhints.com - Boot PowerPC Macs via USB 2.0 drives

Alternatively, try one of louishen's tips - they should work as well.

Finally you can also piggyback off your intel Mac's optical drive:

1. Connect the two Macs with a firewire cable (if you don't have one, they're cheaper than a new external drive ;)).
2. Pop the Tiger DVD in the intel Mac and reboot it holding down the "T" key.
3. Boot the G4 and hold down the option key.

The DVD should show up on the G4 and you can install Tiger off the intel Mac's DVD drive over the firewire connection.

OP
sandnotoil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally you can also piggyback off your intel Mac's optical drive:

1. Connect the two Macs with a firewire cable (if you don't have one, they're cheaper than a new external drive ;)).
2. Pop the Tiger DVD in the intel Mac and reboot it holding down the "T" key.
3. Boot the G4 and hold down the option key.

The DVD should show up on the G4 and you can install Tiger off the intel Mac's DVD drive over the firewire connection.

Thanks for this, but just a few questions as you are dealing with someone who can work on a mac, but is a bit of a thicko about technical bits. Think of this thread as Installation For Dummies 1.0

1. OK with this bit
2. reboot it holding down the "T" key. Do you mean clicking on Restart & will this do anything to the contents of my Intel mac. What does holding down the "T" do?
3. Do I have to do this at the same time as my Intel Mac?

Also thanks to louishen, but I don't think the drive in it is the original, and unfortunately I don't actually understand much of the rest that he's written (I did say I'm a bit of a technical dumdum. Doh!)

Thanks for any help

OP
sandnotoil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick thought(maybe a lightbulb moment) I was thinking of getting a portable hard drive for moving things between computers (when they are both running Tiger), so would the quickest way of resolving this be to buy a new portable hard drive with a firewire and installing it from this?

If this seems like a workable idea does anyone have any recommendations?

Oh and the last thing when I start the G4 I get a message " The application 'Mac OS Setup assistant' could not be opened because "FileSharingLib" could not be found" - should this concern me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Firewire optical drives are bootable for PPC machines. The specs for the 733 do include a DVD ROM or Combo DVD/CD Read and CD Write so it is a sign someting is wrong with the optical drive if you cannot install Tiger.

Of course someone may have just tossed a CD drive in and kept the combo of course!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks for this, but just a few questions as you are dealing with someone who can work on a mac, but is a bit of a thicko about technical bits. Think of this thread as Installation For Dummies 1.0

1. OK with this bit
2. reboot it holding down the "T" key. Do you mean clicking on Restart & will this do anything to the contents of my Intel mac. What does holding down the "T" do?

Yes. Restart the intel Mac (or shut it off and turn it back on) and press and hold the "T" key immediately after you hear the chime (before you see the Apple logo!).

Doing so will put the machine in firewire "Target" disk mode. Basically that means that any drives connected to it (including the internal disc drive) will be shared over the firewire connection. Nothing will happen to your data though.

3. Do I have to do this at the same time as my Intel Mac?
Nah, take your time. Do the intel Mac bit first, then switch on your G4 and hold down the "option" key.

The CD should appear on the screen and you can then boot into the regular installer.

Just a quick thought(maybe a lightbulb moment) I was thinking of getting a portable hard drive for moving things between computers (when they are both running Tiger), so would the quickest way of resolving this be to buy a new portable hard drive with a firewire and installing it from this?

That should also work. However, if moving files is the only reason you're going to pick up the external drive, I'd point out that you can also easily move files over your network if both Macs are connected via ethernet or wirelessly to the same network.

OP
sandnotoil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Aptmunich, I think I'll go for the portable hard drive way (my hubby has threatened me with divorce if I mess up the intel), but the other way is good. I will need to have a portable as the G4 will be at my shop (no internet access) and my Intel is staying at home for me to play & work on, and I need something to back up my stuff on to anyway.

Thanks to you all I knew Mac Forums would have the solution.:Cool:

Reaction score
Thank you. My first time on this board.

All intel Macs can boot from USB drives, and there is a pretty technical way of getting PowerPC macs to boot from them as well:....

Thank you so much. A good piece of information, Priceless.

From LA to Munich, dank u veel (as close to German as I come)

I'm going to try to talk to you since you are online now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.