max hard drive size in an original MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I am posting here to get some information out that I had a a hard time finding for myself when hard drive shopping.

I have an original launch MacBook that I wanted to upgrade the hard drive on for the second time. The last time I did this, I called up Apple support and asked them what the biggest drive I could install was. Their answer was "120GB" so that is what I bought and it worked well for quite some time, but eventually got a bit cramped. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and pick up a 5400 RPM Seagate 320 GB hard drive that I got for an amazing deal.

So I slap that bad boy in, boot to my Tiger disk and format it with the disk utility. I then proceeded to do the Time Machine backup, but the drive was not shown.

Panic sets in.

After taking a few deep breaths, I rebooted, once again booting to my Tiger disk, and guess what? The drive showed up and I restored my time machine backup onto the new drive in about 4 to 5 hours.

Lesson learned: A 1st gen MacBook will support a 320 Gig drive as long as it is the right form factor/interface.

Reaction score
That's great, that the original MacBook will take any size depending on the form factor/interface. But what's the proper form-factor/interface that got you 320 GB? It didn't work the first time, but did the second? What did you change?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.