I have concerns about my Mac

Reaction score
HI guys.
I am running windows xp sp2 on my mini and i decided to do an intel processor check using their utility! But it told me mine was a core duo(which it is) but it is an engineering sample processor, not a production one.

1)I read that Intel could ask for it back, is this true?

2)I read that if it is the latest revision, then its the same as the production processor. Mine is a core duo revision 0, model E. Is this the latest revision does anybody know?

3)What would you do? Should I ring apple up and ask for a new one?Should I continue using it, is it illegal?

4)WHAT THE HECK have apple been playing at, putting one of those in my mac?

PLEASE HELP GUYS!! All help will be appreciated!

Hazza Manazza

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't worry about it, the Intel Police won't knock on your door late at night and take you and the mini away. :Smirk:

Just keep using the machine and don't believe everything your read about your processor. Also, the Intel CPU identifier utility has been known to be wrong.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
First of all, calm down.

That software is designed to work on traditional PC hardware, not on Macs. The slight differences in Mac hardware could be resulting in a false reading. So your Mac doesn't contain some special, illegal hardware that will result in the FBI crashing down your door.

OP
H
Reaction score
First of all, calm down.

That software is designed to work on traditional PC hardware, not on Macs. The slight differences in Mac hardware could be resulting in a false reading. So your Mac doesn't contain some special, illegal hardware that will result in the FBI crashing down your door.

OK but the only thing I am worried about is Temperature Monitoring. Just Downloaded EVEREST and that detects engineering sample cpu. So it obviously is and i can live with that. But What about temperature. It says Temperature Monitors 1 and 2 are enabled but now temperature monitoring. What does this mean? Is my processor less powerful than a production one(it has no halt state)

Hazza

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Boot into OSX and download iStat. If everything is working within there, it's fine.

I seriously doubt there's an engineering sample in your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.