Airport problem

Reaction score
Hi all. My iMac consistently keeps losing the wireless signal, and when I click on the airport, it is scanning for a few seconds before reconnecting. I know it is not a problem with my wireless connection, b/c my macbook does not have the problem. I've tried resetting my wireless modem, resetting the airport and reinstalling the wireless settings, but no luck. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB G4, 1 GHz, 768 RAM, OS X Tiger 10.5.6
I'm having the same problem...actually have been having the same problem since Dec's update of 10.5.6. I reverted back to 10.5.2 and everything worked perfectly. Then re-upgraded to 10.5.6 and everything sucked again. I was losing the signal every two minutes.

Apple recently sent out software updates that temporarily fixed the problems, but now they're back and just as bad as before.

Any help will be appreciated. I've spent hours searching the Apple Support Discussions to no avail.

Reaction score
I'm having exactly the same problem, I can sit next to my imac with my macbook and the macbook works fine but the imac seems to make its own mind up when it wants to connect / drop / give itself a self assigned ip. There doesn't seem to be any consistency, both machines are running snow leopard, i've upgraded my router to a wireless N netgear dgn2000, there's a wireless repeater not 6 feet away from the imac, but it STILL refuses to play ball. Has anybody ANY ideas how to sort it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
It's not ideal, but try assigning a static ip to the Mac and see if it retains connection...

Reaction score
Are you guys still having problems? I'm having problems with AirPort cutting out more and more on iMac 5,1 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.5.8 - I'm desperate for a solution to this.

S

Shireen

Same here

I've had the same problems... It's only recently that my family's iMac has been forgetting my WAP password and the Network completely.

I don't know what's going on but I think it's something to do with the Apple update a couple months ago

I've got Version 10.6.6

Reaction score
airport problems

had similar problems with my original I mac using Wifi then I bought a brand new 27 inch mac hoping all would be good but in fact the new mac was even more useless at picking up the same WIFI signal.
After much consultation with local Apple store in Sydney and numerous computer shops, decided to use Ethernet via power system which uses your homes electricity wiring to carry the internet signal around your home.
Plug one end connected to modem ethernet socket in to a power point and then plug other unit in to a power point near your Mac and run ethernet cable from the power plug unit to the mac.
All done in two minutes, no more problems. cost $140 but totally worth it.
Must say really losing faith in Apple as a brand - cant use the $2000 computer to look at the internet because of cheap nasty chips in Airport leading to lack of sensitivity/reception. Recently got Iphone 4 which has reception problems.
Given that both items cost more than the competition and neither actually perform the most basic functions without problems Apple really need to pull their socks up.

Reaction score
signal issues

i think i have discovered the solution, at least it's working for me anyway. try disconnecting the bluetooth mouse and using a usb one. i have checked over and over and everytime i use the usb mouse internet is fast etc. every time the bluetooth one is on it not even worth trying.

Reaction score
My Airport keeps dropping off

I just brought a new entry level Mac and the Airport keeps losing signal like other people on your forum have mentioned. I am so cross as all our other devices are fine and my 10 year old Phillips media centre sat in the same spot until two weeks ago with no signal issues.
Does anyone else find changing the mouse works, I'm going to try it when I get home - but really Apple I am soooo disappointed. Add to this my new Iphone 4 just flaked out last night so I am quickly losing my faith and patience. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.