How to reformat and reinstall Windows XP (Bootcamp)?

Reaction score
I've owned an iMac since summer 2008 and have Windows XP installed using Bootcamp mainly for PC gaming purposes. Beginning a few months ago whenever I run PC I've been cursed by the famous Blue Screen of Death which would cause my computer to freeze and automatically reboot.

I am hoping to reformat and reinstall Windows XP (wipe the slate clean) and have a brand new start again on PC, and would appreciate some pointers and advice on how to do so (without affecting the Mac system) properly. I have the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition installation disc. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, how could I prevent the Blue Screen of Death from occurring again??
Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Reinstall

I recently did a reinstall. One thing you cannot do is simply insert your XP disk while in the windows partition and reinstall as if you were on a PC, that gave me a bunch of errors and auto-reboot.

I would suggest going with a fresh start. Go to the boot camp utility in macOS, remove the partition (after you back up any data), and then recreate it. Then just do the install as you did before. There may be a way to reinstall windows without repartitioning, but it's not a difficult step, and may solve problems in the mean time.

Not sure about the blue screen problem, but if you use the correct boot camp version for the OS you have, and follow the protocol they attach, it should work out.

Reaction score
Definitely use Boot Camp Assistant to restore your hard disk. Then start over. That will work - if you try to muck about with other utilities you'll get into trouble. Good luck

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've owned an iMac since summer 2008 and have Windows XP installed using Bootcamp mainly for PC gaming purposes. Beginning a few months ago whenever I run PC I've been cursed by the famous Blue Screen of Death which would cause my computer to freeze and automatically reboot.

I am hoping to reformat and reinstall Windows XP (wipe the slate clean) and have a brand new start again on PC, and would appreciate some pointers and advice on how to do so (without affecting the Mac system) properly. I have the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition installation disc. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, how could I prevent the Blue Screen of Death from occurring again??
Thank you very much!

Reinstalling Windows clean may or may not resolve the BSOD problems you're having. You can certainly do so if you wish by following the advice you've already been given.

However, in my experience with Windows and the infamous BSOD, it's almost always caused by bad drivers, an errant program, or both. I would suggest doing some Windows detective work first before going through all the hardship of removing the BC partition and reinstalling Windows.

First, update all your hardware drivers to the latest as provided by the maker of the device: video, sound, etc.

Make sure you have the latest Direct X version installed. Run the Direct X diagnostics to see if all is OK. (From Start, Run, type in dxdiag.exe) Most games require 3D acceleration.

If the BSOD occurs with a specific program or game running, contact the software maker's support and see if they have any known issues for which they patched or updated. Game makers are famous for issuing patches.

Finally, if you have any extra hardware attached (optical scanner, camera, and so forth) while you're in Windows, remove them and reboot.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. I have followed the instructions running the Direct X diagnostics and ultimately removed and then re-created the Windows partition. But when I tried re-installing Windows XP, upon automatic reboot I get the "Disk Error" message on a black screen which leaves my computer frozen (the exact same problem that this user stated: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/windows-classic-linux-other-os/131329-need-help-bootcamp.html). Any idea how to move forward from there and get Windows set up?

Does any of this have to do with something called "NFTS" during setup?
Thank you!

OP
L
Reaction score
Machine no longer automatically loading into Macintosh HD

I decided to forgo the whole idea of repartitioning and installing Windows, but now it seems like that my normal Mac startup also got affected! Instead of automatically loading into the Macintosh HD, upon Power On it now gives me the "No boot disk detected. Please insert boot disk and press any key" message on a black screen. It compels me to manually shut down the machine. I would then have to press Alt in order to select and get into the Macintosh HD. (Please note: I have already restored the entire partition to Mac.)

Does anyone know how I could fix this so that my computer can once again automatically load into the Macintosh HD upon Power On? Thanks a million.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
System Preferences -> Startup Disk. Choose your Macintosh HD as default.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.