Renaming your Mac for the router and localhost

Reaction score
I don't really know what I have managed to do here. But for some time I have noticed my router thinks my computer is called "Ian-PC" and if I want to connect to my sites from another box I have to type in Ian-PC. It is worth suffixing that I do not know anyone called IAN!!

I have battled trying to find many fixes - changed my terminal back to Adam-Taylor but thats about it. It seems entrenched fairly deep down as today I was editing my smb.conf and found Ian in there too! In all options in system preferences the name is correct.

Has anyone got any ideas on a fix??

Cheers,
Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
It could possibly be a router issue? Try plugging directly into another computer, and seeing if it uses the new or old name. Also, it might help to vary the connection between airport and ethernet, to help figure out where the problem is and what config file might need to be changed.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not sure its a router issue; however I can see I explained the issue poorly.

The massive omission I made was that in my sharing preference pane the vcn,afp and http all state Ian-PC.home. Yet I have just checked and my synergy still connects to Adam-Taylor.local.

I think this may have beat me!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.