iWeb Templates Accidentally Deleted

Reaction score
I have a website published with iWeb '08. I have since purchased and installed iWeb '09. Everything was fine until yesterday when I decided to delete thousands of duplicate pictures I have on my Mac/external hard drive (long story). I used Araxis' Find Duplicate Files & recommend it.

The problem is that I accidentally deleted a few templates that came with iWeb '08 that I used to build my site. I have tried using Time Machine (twice) to go back to earlier times and restore iWeb. I have even uninstalled iWeb '09 and reinstalled it. But when I open iWeb, it still says I am missing files. For example, some of the files that are missing are: LayeredPaper_01.jpg, Creme_sidebar_frame__05.png, etc.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks...
Billy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Restoring iWeb 08 from Time Machine backups may not restore the missing files if they were not included in part or part of the iWeb 08 folder or program. What you're going to need to do is use Spotlight to search through your Time Machine backups that you made prior to the installation of iWeb 09. When you find the files that are missing, restore them.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I've done a bit of searching and it looks like the template files are stored within the iWeb package itself, so it's weird that a restore of the iWeb application doesn't give you the templates. Same deal with a reinstall.

Spotlight searching won't necessarily work, since it won't search in packages. Maybe as a test, go back to before you deleted the photos, go to /Applications/iWeb, right-click or control click the icon and select show package contents. Have a dig around in there and see if you can find the missing template files.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick responses... I'm going to try everything you suggested and as soon as I get it figured out, I'll let you know what worked! Again, Thank you!

Reaction score
Same Issue...

Hello, I am having the same issue. I reinstalled iWeb with a new Domain.sites2 file, there were no issues. Then, when I placed my Domain.sites2 file back, the same issue.

Did you ever get this fixed? Any help would be appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.