Virtualization on a mini -- worth the hassle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1
Hi All,

I'm considering running XP inside of a virtual machine on a 1.83Ghz mini with 2 GB of RAM. I've already pretty much decided on Fusion as I've used VMWare on both Linux and Windows with great results although I'll trial both Parallels and Virtual Box.

I expect to allocate 1GB of RAM to XP and run some small apps nothing major probably just Yahoo Messenger unless Mac's YIM allows you to play games within YIM. I expect the mini to slow down a bit but is it going to slow to a crawl just running XP and save Firefox in OSX?

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
It will run fine. As a rough calculation I should imagine that, with the slight performance hit through the virtualisation, the performance would be roughly comparable to running XP on a 1.5ghz Pc with 1GB RAM.

OSX performance will obviously be affected, especially if you are using Leopard, but only whilst you have Fusion running, as it will then only have 1GB RAM available to it but will revert to the full 2GB once you close Fusion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.