Changing a username

N

n0r1

When my roommate got her powerbook configured, the person doing it misspelled her name. Now, whenever she logs in, she's confronted with a wrong version of her name. How can I help her change this? Where is that setting stored?

Thanks!

OP
B

Badger

For OS 10.3: To do this you need to venture into the Netinfo Manager and Terminal.
1. You have to do this from an administration account and it must not be the account you want to change. So either log into an existing admin account or create a new admin account.
2. Open Netinfo Manager (Applications/utilities); select users in the upper middle panel; select the user name you wish to change in the upper right panel; click the padlock at the bottom to allow changes, enter the password and click OK; The bottom panel will show a list of user properties and their values; scroll down until you find "realname" in the list, to the right is the (misspelled) user name. Change that name to the new one.
3. If the short name is also misspelled then you have to change that as well. In the bottom panel search for every instance where the short name is used and replace it with the correct name. Change only the name and NOT any text that may be in the same line. That other text is a path. For example if you would see: /Users/badgre change only badgre to badger, nothing else.
Save your changes and click Update This Copy when it appears.
4. In the same panel where you selected users find Groups; in the right panel select the old user name and go to the lower panel and change it to the new name. Save, update and quit Netinfo Manager.
5. The new name is active but you'll need to change the name on the home folder to match. Open the Terminal; type "cd /Users" (with the space after cd and no quotes) and hit return. Type "ls" and hit return. You should see the old name of the user folder in the list. To change the name type "sudo mv old-name new name"; enter the password when needed, and hit the return key. You can log out and log into the renamed account now. «Thanks to MacAddict 10/04 for this info.»

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually the easy way of doing this is to go into the apple, far top right, select 'System Preferences...' then click on the "Accounts" icon.. a silhouette of a couple of people, then select her name, and change her 'Name:' there.. do not worry about the short name, you'll seldom ever see it and it could be right anyways :) Im pretty sure you do not need to even touch Netinfo Manager for this type of thing.

OP
N

n0r1

Thanks! This all worked great. Roommate is happy. :)

One last related question: the name of her computer is still wrong. For example, in the Terminal application, her username is correct, but [what I know to call the] hostname is wrong. A prompt says:

[Wrong-Computer-Name:~] username%

Now, I run Debian Linux, and were I to change the hostname on that, I would just change /etc/hostname and be done with it. But no such file appears to exist for OSX. Grepping through the files in /etc for Wrong-Computer-Name doesn't help, either. Where does this name live, and how can I change it?

Thanks again for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Go into Apple (far top right) "System Preferences..." -> "Sharing" and the "Computer Name" will be at the top. if that's what you are lookign for :)

OP
N

n0r1

Great! This is great. Thanks again, you guys! This forum is fantastic. :)

Oh, and my iBook just came -- no more productivity for me today! Heh heh ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.