Recommend me a wireless adapter please

Reaction score
Hi! I need some help because I am not familiar with Macs or the Airport Express router at all.

My roommate/landlord has a Mac laptop and uses the Airport Express router to connect. I however have a PC desktop and laptop. My laptop seemed to work okay with the wireless, however my desktop does not. My laptop has built in wireless, but my desktop doesn't; I have to use a USB adapter. I currently use a Belkin Wireless G adapter. It worked just fine on my desktop at my previous residence, but here it constantly disconnects and just has a low signal all the time. My roommate has no problem with the connection, and since my laptop connects fine, it makes me think the issue is this adapter and I want to get a new one because I prefer to use my desktop.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could recommend a USB wireless adapter that I can use on my PC that they know is compatible with the Airport Express. I was looking at the Netgear WPN111 because it's supposed to have great range, but I am not sure if it's compatible. I read the FAQ and it said Netgear is not compatible with Macs, but that post was from 2007, so it could be different now. Thanks in advance for your input and advice! =D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any USB adapter can receive signals from the Airport Express. It's not so much a matter of which one you buy as it is with the distance and proximity to the Express unit. The Airport Express unit does not have extended range.
How far are you from his AE? Are you on the same floor of the building?

I currently have a Netgear USB adapter attached to an older desktop PC which is in the guest room of my home. Although the signal it receives on the PC is not all that great, it does allow a steady connection to the net, however, my router is not an Airport Express. I use a D-Link router instead.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, we live in a condo, so it's pretty much one floor. There is a loft though, and that's where the router is. And I don't think distance is the issue because my laptop worked fine in my bedroom, but my desktop isn't. So I really think this adapter just doesn't have a great range...that's why I was looking at that Netgear one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You may simply have something obstructing the signal from where you computer is placed. In my house alone, my laptop gets a signal great from one side of the living room, very poorly on the other side. I had to get an Airport Express to pair with my Airport Extreme to get around whatever was blocking the signal (likely the water heater and/or aluminum air ducting).

OP
M
Reaction score
No, I'm pretty sure it's not that. I literally had my laptop in front of my desktop monitor on my desk at all times, and the laptop worked just fine. I'm fairly certain the adapter just doesn't have a good range. It was pretty cheap when I bought it...I think I got it at Walmart for like $20.

I can get the Netgear one on eBay for about the same price (even though the retail value is much higher), but I just want to make sure it's compatible with the Airport Express. :/ I'd hate to buy it to find out it doesn't work at all...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.