Connect MacBook Pro to Sony Bravia 40": need a DualDVI Adapter?!

Reaction score
I am a long time Windows user who, lured by the impressive design and performance of such highly successful products as the iPod and the iPhone, is looking to finally purchase my first Mac. I am specifically interested in the new MacBook Pro. However I would like to still be able to connect my new MBP to a Sony Bravia KDL40S HD TV. I read somewhere that, for external monitors larger than 30", I may need a dual miniDISPLAY to DVI adapter which costs around $100. Is this true? If it is: auch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
With the new Macbook Pros, it would be a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, and yes the dual link one is $99.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You do not need a dual-link for connecting to any size HDTV. The requirement of dual-link is related to the resolution of the display not it's size.

With a "monitor", not a TV, of 30"and over, you would be looking at resolutions of 2560 x 1600 (or 1600p in TV terms) and higher. With a HDTV you are looking at sending out either a 720p or 1080 signal to the TV and dual-link is not required.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, that makes sense.

One more question: I just looked at the manual for my Sony Bravia and I guess it does not have a DVI input; instead, there is a "PC IN" for the HD15-HD-15 cable? Will it still work? I am guessing I now need a miniDisplay port to DVI to DH15 adapter :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I'm pretty sure that's a VGA socket...anyone?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I have a 40" Sony and a MacBook Pro. I have never hooked up my new macbook but did hook up my old one all the time and it worked great via VGA and separate audio cable.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The couple of Sony's I've had did not have DVI. If you see 15 pin, d-sub 15, etc. listed, that is VGA. When a TV manufacturer says 'PC in', it nearly always means VGA. Very few TV's have DVI ports. They just did not move there.

Don't know what the deal is with TV manufacturers. They name the other ports RCA, composite, DVI, component, HDMI. But, it's like they never heard of VGA and don't believe I've ever seen it labeled as such in any of their owners manuals. It seems they only know to name that port based on the # of pins it has.

If you have a newer Sony, you may have a spare HDMI port. Quite a few use this via DVI to HDMI cable.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah mine Sonys have all been the same too. "PC in" means VGA. I don't think Sony ever used DVI in their TV as they missed the 1st flat screens. I have had 3 Sony Bravias and all with VGA/HDMI never a DVI.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will see DVI more often on Plasma displays. They were marketed from early on, a little heavier to the corporate crowd for reception, conference rooms, etc., where a wide viewing angle is required. (Although, some of the LCD units have just about caught up in that aspect now.)

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are going offtopic now. Did Sony ever make plasma TVs? (I can remember). But anyway, mihajloj has a Bravia so it is a LCD. Either way VGA or HDMI if it is a recent Bravia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
I use a mini-displayport to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable inbetween my Sony Bravia TV and my Macbook Pro. Looks great!

Scott

Reaction score
Can you provide part numbers for these cables? Do you need to run separate audio? I seem to remember reading a review that said the display port does not include sound. Is this correct? Any other ways worth trying to hook up to the TV? I have HDMI, USB, S-Video, RGB, and composite inputs. Thanks.

Russ

WJS

Reaction score
I have a new Sony Bravia 26" that I'm trying to connect my Macbook 13" up to. I have a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable. However, when I hook it up, it simply says "Invalid Format." Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
early 2008 mbp

I have the earlier 2008 mbpro with a regular size dvi port, but I understand the newest macbooks have mini-dvi. Either way if you have the 15 pin on your tv, then you need a (mini)dvi to vga plug. My mbp came with a dvi to vga plug, but I'm not sure about the newest versions what they come with. Didn't do me any good because my Sony Trinitron Wega only has dvi input. No vga or hdmi. So, yes there are Sony tvs with DVI input, just not very many. I believe it's only the FD Trinitrons.

I have a question to add... the tv's dvi input is DVI-D (24+1 pins). Does anyone know if the same plug (male to male) will connect and work with my mbp's dvi port? I'd love to hear someone say they've used the same setup/connections and it's worked before I go and buy the DVI-D dual link male to male cable. Ya know? And yes, it does require separate audio connection. I did see a video somewhere about that. I already have one that I got from the local apple store ($19) to use with my iPod for watching movies on tv via rca. If you're looking for one, be careful because from what I've heard most don't work with apple products unless you get them directly from apple. So, be safe and get it from your apple store.

Reaction score
So I tried it...

The couple of Sony's I've had did not have DVI. If you see 15 pin, d-sub 15, etc. listed, that is VGA. When a TV manufacturer says 'PC in', it nearly always means VGA. Very few TV's have DVI ports. They just did not move there.

Don't know what the deal is with TV manufacturers. They name the other ports RCA, composite, DVI, component, HDMI. But, it's like they never heard of VGA and don't believe I've ever seen it labeled as such in any of their owners manuals. It seems they only know to name that port based on the # of pins it has.

If you have a newer Sony, you may have a spare HDMI port. Quite a few use this via DVI to HDMI cable.

So I bought the DVI-HDMI today, (I have an older Mac Book Pro) and had no luck. Frown* I am also a long term PC user/recent convert, and am dying to get all the jazzy isht that come inlaid in a Mac in the way of media, showing on my Sony Bravia. What did I miss in setting it up? I see the home screen, the program icons at the bottom of the screen when rolled over on the mac, don't show up on the TV. The only thing that show on the TV, that relates to the screen on the Mac is the stock photo desktop, ( I use the lightning scene) and nothing else. When I open up a browser, same thing... grrrrrrrrrrr. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. All my Best, Miguel

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I bought the DVI-HDMI today, (I have an older Mac Book Pro) and had no luck. Frown* I am also a long term PC user/recent convert, and am dying to get all the jazzy isht that come inlaid in a Mac in the way of media, showing on my Sony Bravia. What did I miss in setting it up? I see the home screen, the program icons at the bottom of the screen when rolled over on the mac, don't show up on the TV. The only thing that show on the TV, that relates to the screen on the Mac is the stock photo desktop, ( I use the lightning scene) and nothing else. When I open up a browser, same thing... grrrrrrrrrrr. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. All my Best, Miguel

See my first post in this thread.

Reaction score
connect macbook to sony bravia with hdmi and analog audio

For those trying to connect Sony bravia to macbook or macbook air using HDMI and Analog Red/White Audio Cables:

A lot of people are having trouble getting audio from macbook to come through the tv when using HDMI video cable and analog audio cable. After a couple of hours working on this, I got it to work. There are several HDMI vido inputs on a sony bravia. Only one of them will allow audio input from an analog source. It is the one with 2 red/white audio jacks situated just beneath it. Plug your HDMI video and analog audio cables in to THAT SPECIFIC SET OF PLUGS, then connect to your computer, and bingo!!!

You will need 3 total cables to get audio and video from your mac to your tv:

1: HDMI male - HDMI male
2: HDMI female - Mini DisplayPort (male)
3: 3.5 mm audio (male) - Analog Red/White Audio (male)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those trying to connect Sony bravia to macbook or macbook air using HDMI and Analog Red/White Audio Cables:

A lot of people are having trouble getting audio from macbook to come through the tv when using HDMI video cable and analog audio cable. After a couple of hours working on this, I got it to work. There are several HDMI vido inputs on a sony bravia. Only one of them will allow audio input from an analog source. It is the one with 2 red/white audio jacks situated just beneath it. Plug your HDMI video and analog audio cables in to THAT SPECIFIC SET OF PLUGS, then connect to your computer, and bingo!!!

For explanation and pictorial, see post #3 in this thread.

You will need 3 total cables to get audio and video from your mac to your tv:

1: HDMI male - HDMI male
2: HDMI female - Mini DisplayPort (male)
3: 3.5 mm audio (male) - Analog Red/White Audio (male)

While we greatly appreciate folks posting what has worked for them, this is not necessarily true.

1. Not all MacBooks have a mini displayport.
2. All of the current model MacBooks support audio over the mini displayport and the analog audio cable is not required at all with the proper adapter.

Anyone looking for help with their connections, please see the link above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.