Firewire adaptor for ipod shuffle?

J

jonbev

Can anyone tell me if you can connect the shuffle via firewire? I've got a 15" powerbook titanium (867Mhz), so no USB 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No. You can use USB 1. 512mb and 1gb are small enough that the time to transfer on USB1 shouldn't be too big of a deal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Id think you could use any usb2 to firewire adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
To answer your question, and for the communities knowledge, someone should try calling apple on that one...

1-800-APL-CARE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I just got my iPod Shuffle and I love it!

You get USB2 to FW adators?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Macman said:
Id think you could use any usb2 to firewire adapter.

And where would you get that?? It's two very different protocols, so a simple plug adapter won't work...

OP
J

jonbev

Apple dosn't mention anything on the website. Could it be a subtle move away from firewire 400? I guess my best move is to purchase a USB 2 PC card. Or just save a bit more and get an ipod mini.
I think USB 1 is way to slow. It takes about 5 minutes to transfer an 64mb .AVI file from my camera using USB1. Hate to think how long 1GB would take.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I donn't think they are moving away from firewire at all but want to give consumers another option...not to mention it is easier to make a small drive like the shuffle with a USB adapter at the end than it is the larger firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
USB is far more common than Firewire across computing platforms. By making the Shuffle USB, Apple can go after any computer user, Mac or Windows.

I was at the Genius Bar at the Chicago Apple Store the other day and a guy was there with an IBM ThinkPad and a Shuffle. A good sign, I think. :)

(An interesting note was that I was able to help the guy a bit more than the genius was. :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because the shuffles port cannot come off, they chose USB so anyone with USB can use it because more people have USB than firewire

OP
J

jonbev

Well, I've decided I'm going to buy the shuffle. My Solution is to buy a USB 2.0 PC card. Only £20 extra.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you ask me, its the pc users who should be buying the firewire cards

NOT the Mac users buying USB 2.0 cards. :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't have to buy an extra card you can still use it with USB 1.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Graeme43 said:
If you ask me, its the pc users who should be buying the firewire cards

NOT the Mac users buying USB 2.0 cards. :mad:

From a marketing standpoint that is rediculous. You're saying 90% of potential iPod shuffle customers should have to buy extra hardware in order for them to use the product. Where as it stands none of the Mac users have to buy a thing in order to use it unless they want higher transfer speeds with older Macs. Seeing as it is a "budget" device of course they decided on USB.

I think Apple wants to get away from the "High priced hardware for snobs" image they have, not add to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
You can use USB 1.1 to transfer files (very slow) however it will not charge the Shuffle (need USB 2.0 for that). I was in the same boat because my PC only has USB 1.1. What I did is I bought a plug in USB power adapter you can plug into a electrical outlet and plug the Shuffle right in to recharge it. And I transfer my songs from my PC to my Shuffle via USB 1.1.

OP
J

jonbev

Well, I'm having difficulty living in the irony of it all. First I want the shuffle mainly because of the price. Then I realise I need the USB 2 card to make use of the charging and high speed dater transfer. So I'm looking at £120 to get iPodding with a shuffle.

Now Apple release the new mini for £139. Firewire, screen and 3gig more storage for only £19 extra compared to the shuffle solution.

So can I get a vote? Shuffle with USB 2 card or Mini Ipod (4gig)? I just wanna go running and plug it into my home stereo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.