Mac mini shut down when start

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Mac mini doesn't want to start anymore ... I have run the Apple Hardware Test from the CD and all seems ok (all test are ok) but when I try to start on the hard drive, the mac mini suddenly shut down :(
Where it can comes from ? hard drive failure ? how can I diagnostic the issue ?
I am afraid to reinstall Mac OS X from the CD because I don't want to lose my date :[

Thanks in advance for your help and advices
Victor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day Victor and welcome to the Forums. First off try this:-

Pop in the install DVD an boot from that holding down 'C'. If any joy go to Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. Does not sound good and hope you have got a backup on an external drive.

OP
victorcouste
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, I will try this (I have only tried to hold down 'D' to reinstall the OS X)

OP
victorcouste
Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried to repair the disk with the Disk Utility tool from the CD, but when I try to verify the disk, after the "Catalog file", I have error messages "Invalid sibling link" and "Volume check failed".
Also when I try the verify disk permissions, I have the error message "Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit".

Do you where my problem can come from ? what is the "sibling link" ?

Thanks
Victor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.