installing new hard drive on a macbook.. need help with OS install

Reaction score
hi people..
i have been given a macbook pro with a dead hard drive, (computer was dropped)
have ordered a new hard drive for it which has come..

i am quite happy with taking the laptop apart and fitting the hard drive as have done lots of work with electronics so this is fine

the part i need help on is the operating system..

i have a copy of the OS X leopard dvd

what i need to know is once ive physically installed the new hard drive in the laptop how do i get it up and running???

i dont have any of the original cds that came with the macbook.. just the laptop, charger and this copy of OS x leopard..

any help would be good

cheers

tom (mac newby)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Fire up the computer, pop in the Leopard DVD, hold the letter C and OS X setup should start. If it doesn't start right away, just restart (hold down the power button for a few seconds to turn it off) and with the disc still in the drive, hold C as soon as you hear it turn on and it should boot.

Since it's a new drive, you'll need to partition it. When OS X setup starts, go to the top menu bar and find Disk Utility. Format the drive as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and it should be pretty self explanatory from there.

OP
P
Reaction score
cheers..
it does seem to be working but have a wierd fault now...
think the screen might be damaged too???!!
when u first turn on the the mac the screen lights up nice and bright with the apple symbol and a loading spinning icon...
then it goes blank but i can very faintly see the osx install screen in the background and the osx CD is still spinning away ...

just strange that the screen lit up first nice in the first place?

any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.