• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ripping back from my own DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unstoppable Macbook Pro of death.
Hey chaps,

I worked on a film last year with a local guild, they gave me the DVD, and i want to make a trailer, and add parts of it to my portfolio, but i have no idea how to get it onto i-movie.

can anyone help?

i assure you, its for an independant film i myself worked on, and i have permission from the director himself to modify its contents, but i need to do this quickly so i dont want to have to turn to the team and get the original cuts.

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Try Handbrake. It'll rip the DVD into a format that can be edited by iMovie.

OP
M0RB0
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unstoppable Macbook Pro of death.
I went here;

HandBrake

Which version should i download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I believe the Macbook Pro of death is one of the newer models so the Intel version is the one you want.

If you actually have a Macbook Pro of minor ailements then it's the older PPC version.

To be doublely certain click the Apple logo top left and 'About this Mac' - it will tell you which Processor you have Intel or PPC.

Reaction score
Hi, Kash.
Do you make sure handbrake converted video is compatible with iMovie?
Why my MP4 video converted by handbrake cannot be imported?

The native format that handbrake rips into should import right in without isses.

You want to download the GUI version of hanbrake and before ripping go into picture options and make sure you arent going to wind up with a lot of artifacting, if you are tweak with the interlace settings until your happy with the preview.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.