Newbie with mail problems. Help please.

J

Jordan

Hello,

Ok, so my Mac finally arrived and all is good except that I can't set up my mail to fetch my Hotmail and Shawmail emails.

When I wrote hotmail they sent me this:
Jordan, I understand your concern.
The address of the servers are listed below:
- Incoming mail (POP3): pop3.email.msn.com
- Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp.email.msn.com
Please be informed that POP address is required to receive mails and SMTP address is required to send mails. Hence, you need to configure your mail program according to the settings you need to have in your e-mail program.

As for my shawmail account, it says to use "shawmail" for both, my incoming and outgoing mail server. That doesn't seem to get me anywhere either.

I filled in the above info along with the other requested info such as email account etc. but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Is there a plugin to check yahoo mail thru Mail also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
ignore previous post

OP
J

Jordan

Thanks so very much. That plug in worked great.

I couldn't have possibly been the first Mac user to write Hotmail about such a problem. Why didn't they just tell me that they don't jive with Mac Mail? Anyhnow, things seem to be peachy now.

Thanks again,

Jordan

Reaction score
anyone know of a plugin that qill work with osx 10.3.9?!

Jordan said:
Thanks so very much. That plug in worked great.

I couldn't have possibly been the first Mac user to write Hotmail about such a problem. Why didn't they just tell me that they don't jive with Mac Mail? Anyhnow, things seem to be peachy now.

Thanks again,

Jordan

Reaction score
gotit. now, how to I chanbe the type mail from .mac in preferences? it doesn't appear to have a change function. i do not have a .mac account...

Reaction score
I have a Mail problem now, It won't remember my password, every couple times when it check, it asks me for my pw again, very annoying.

Reaction score
i have the same, but as i do not have a mail account i assumed it was irrelevant. i even changed it on iforget but no avail...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
I had the same problem with Mail, that it wasn't working with my MSN account. Even after I got the plug-in from Version-tracker it wasn't working right. I could recieve my mail, but anything I tried to send wasn't going through.
I ended up switching to Entourage. It works great with MSN or Hotmail accounts because its made by Microsoft. It's designed to work with their e-mail services.

I really, really like Apple's Mail app, but if it's not going to work 100% flawless with my e-mail, then I just can't use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Big Mike said:
I had the same problem with Mail, that it wasn't working with my MSN account. Even after I got the plug-in from Version-tracker it wasn't working right. I could recieve my mail, but anything I tried to send wasn't going through.

I had the same issue. My solution was to change the outgoing mail server to the same server as my ISP's mail service. It turned out that my ISP would not allow traffic on that port so I just use theirs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.