connection pppoe or maybe not...

Reaction score
Hello:
This question might have been posted, but I have not identified the same problem , sorry if its duplicated.
I just recently bought a MacBook with the OSX 10.5.5, I am trying to connect it wirelessly to the internet at home. I have been able to connect in the past some pc laptops. I live in Germany and I have a "alice" (phone and internet provider) line. They provided the modem and I attached a Linksys wrt54gv6 wireless-router to it in order to use it wirelessly for several laptops (2-3). I have been able to do this in the past with pc's. The way I did it with pc's was to connect the ethernet cable, create a pppoe connection, write the login and password the "alice" guideline said I should and everything went on. Every time I wanted to connect to the internet again I would only turn on my computer, sign into the "linksys" network without password and click on the alice connection to fill the password and get connected wireless. With the macbook it has been not possible. I am able to connect it to the ethernet, create a pppoe connection and connect to the internet, but I am not able to do it with the airport. What should I do? I have been able to "connect" the airport to the linksys network (self-IP adress shows) but when I try to connect the pppoe connection it says it does not find the server. I am not able to get into my router with my pc or macbook through the 192.168.1.1 adress to see if I can change something over there....everytime I try it says "could not find..."
Thanks very much in advance... :)

Reaction score
If I understood the issue you configured the 'Create PPOoE Service' in the Ethernet service of the MacBook? This option is to be used when connecting the computer directly to the modem!
Normally your situation requires PPPoE configured only on the WAN side of the router, all the wireless computers are to be set to 'Using DHCP' (or equivalent on PC's).
The DHCP server must be active on the router, when off you get 'self-IP address' unless the address is set using the 'Manually' option

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.