Installing new operating sys - will it delete programs?

Reaction score
Hello. I running Mac OS X 10.3, and am wanting to install Mac OS X 10.4, will this erase all of my programs. I am going to back up files, but since I have many student versions of programs, from college, I do not have the discs to reinstall them.

I need 10.4 to run Illustrator CS4.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Will everything delete?

Hello. I running Mac OS X 10.3, and am wanting to install Mac OS X 10.4, will this erase all of my programs. I am going to back up files, but since I have many student versions of programs, from college, I do not have the discs to reinstall them.

I need 10.4 to run Illustrator CS4.

Thanks!

I don't think so. I had to reinstall my Leopard operating system yesterday and nothing was affected. Tiger/10.4 is probably the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
There are two types of OS installation:
1. Clean Install, or Erase & Install - this will wipe absolutely everything from your hard drive before installing the new OS;
2. Archive & Install - this will preserve everything but the previous OS. It will retain the old OS in a folder called Previous System. You can safely delete that folder, but only after you're satisfied that everything is working as it should with the replacement OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do as suggested and use the Archive and Install, but be aware sometimes applications will not save completely and will ask for a new install. Even student versions should come with a software CD and password for re-installation unless they have been copied illegally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.