Hard Drive Swapping

M

monkeyman

Hi.

I have two macs at work. One is a Cobalt G4 (450 Mhz, CD-R) and one is a Quicksilver G4 (Dual Processor, Combi Drive). Both are dual boot with OS9.2 and Panther.
I need to switch these machines around for reasons of updating. Is it possible to do a simple swap with the hard drives, or will some aspect of the OS be machine specific and not function in the other machine?

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or OS question, so I'll cross post it in both and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Any help would be much appreciated as I really need to do this tomorrow. I am hoping I won't need to do a complete install on both machines.

Thanks

matt

Reaction score
Typically you can switch HDs in a PC without a problem as long as the motherboard uses the same chipset. This is due to the system drivers that are installed on the drive. I'm not sure how this will work on a Mac. I would think that you should be able to, since the OS has all the drivers installed. It may just boot slow the first time as it detects new hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.