Epson Laser Printers & OS X

B

broestenburg

Hi there

i have been trying to puzzle out a seemingly simple problem with an Epson Aculaser C900 and my powerbook.

I cannot seem to install the printer at all. Firstly the particular model was not in the list, so I installed the EpsonPrinterDrivers2.pkg from the OS X DVD. After that and a reboot the printer was still not in the 'Model' under EPSON.

I then downloaded the latest drivers from Epson - the 2.3bs driver. After a successful install, the driver still did not appear in the printer list.

Just to clarify the 'list' - I am using the Printer Setup Utility -> add -> Selecting Windows Printing -> choosing Epson as the brand -> and looking in the model list to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ben Roestenburg
Student

OP
A

Angry Ostrich

I have a G5 and a miniMac and have the same problem on both of them. Even though the printer drivers are installed (from disc or downloaded) the printer utility cant find the driver. I did a search of this forum and found around a dozen other people with the same problem with no replies to their call for help. I wonder if the moderators accept that this is a problem with the OS and not the operator. The only way I've been able to print is to uninstall and reinstall the driver over and over and over until by chance the utility recognizes it. Mac needs to fix this or at least let me tell the utility where the file is. It's very easy to find using finder.

I expect this kind of random errant operation from a MS product, but I want my Mac to work or not work.

OP
A

Angry Ostrich

Mac Help Says that this printer is not supported by Mac. The Epson driver download lets you select a Mac download. Why aren't Epson and Mac playing nice together. I have two Epson printers that are both over one year old, and that's forever in computers, and they are not supported yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Try using a generic apple or epson postscript driver. It works now and again.

I assume that it's connected via usb or ethernet. Why are you selecting windows printing?

OP
A

Angry Ostrich

Thanks for the response. I've tried gimpPrint, that didn't work. Is there any other "generic" driver you could recommend?

I'm using a USB connection. No hub.

I'm not sure what I said in my posting that makes you think I'm using windows printing. But than again, I was pretty frustrated and not all of what I said makes sense to me as I re-read it now.

As a follow up, after about 3 dozen attempts I was able to get part of the drivers for the first printer to be recognized, so I can print most things on it. But, the good printer, the one my wife wants to use is still unusable. When I asked the Mac Help person why I was able to get one of the drivers to work his response was, "Luck". I understand it is not Mac's fault and it is up to the Printer company to keep drivers updated. I'm really not impressed with Epson right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I spoke to soon. It appears that there is a model specific epson driver for this printer. I also assume you downloaded the right one. I thought the printer was ancient. I didn't see the driver on US Epson site but I did find it on the AU Epson site. Not sure where you're from.

http://www.epson.com.au/products/laser/alc900.asp

Since you mentioned the "OS X DVD" I believe you've got Tiger?

Try the correct driver first.

I'm not thrilled at the new add printer interface, and have seem it not work as expected.

OP
A

Angry Ostrich

Thanks for trying. That's not my printer though. I bought both of these printers 1 year ago. Even by computer standards that's not ancient.
The models are Stylus Photo R200, and Stylus photo 1280. Epson doesn't even list a driver for anything newer than 10.3.6. And that doesn't work.

You're sure right about the add a printer interface. I should send that in to "This is Broken". I'm in the U.S., but I'll take a driver from anywhere to get my wife's one year old, $400, special wide printer (Stylus Photo 1280) to work.

I see why your confused. The post was from a guy who used the windows printing and had the C900. I posted under him. Sorry about the confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right,...I thought I was replying to broestenburg.

Just to get on the same page,...We're dealing with Tiger yes?

When I try to add a new printer I do see a gimp print driver for the 1280 and the R200. It sounds like you do too.

Your problem is that it doesn't work. Is that right? When you said you tried gimp-print, Is that what you meant?

You may need a RIP server to get success.

Have you tried a post script driver yet?

OP
A

Angry Ostrich

Sorry I haven't responded, I've been out of town and pulling double+ shifts. My schedule's all better now.

I just installed Tiger on my new miniMac. When I bring up the Gimp-Print files you suggest an error message comes up saying "An error occurred while trying to add the selected printer, Error:50". The computer I've been having problems on all along is on my G5. I have 10.3.8 on it. I'm not going to update the OS any further because I can't afford loose the driver I have working now on the Photo R200. I use it to print on DVD's for my Video Business

I don't believe I've tried a post script driver yet. (I've tried a lot of things and don't remember them all.) Can you direct me toward one. And what is a Rip server? I would like to try that. Shoot, I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks for your help

OP
A

Angry Ostrich

Great News! Even though no printer showed on the list after the error message. I tried it several times and nothing. Then later for some reason after doing nothing there it was. Beautiful like the noon day sun shining in all it's glory. I have both printers working now. I still don't have a borderless printing drivers on either of them, but I'm way ahead of where I was, and my wife is very happy to have her printer back. Now maybe I'll update my G5.

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love happy endings!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.