Reformatting An iMac G5 That Has Been Upgraded to Leopard

Reaction score
Several months ago we upgraded successfully our G5 to Leopard. We now wish to give the G5 to a friend. But before doing so, I want to erase, reformat, and reinstall the Leopard OS. The desired result is to remove all documents, and third party applications and present them with a clean computer.

Questions:

1. Do I have to go back an reinstall the orginal G5 OS disk or can I do that by reinstalling the retail version of Leopard?
  2. Since my computer background is in Windows, can someone outline the steps that I need to take to complete the operation successfully?

Your assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can use the retail copy of Leopard

Put the retail disk in and then restart, holding down the C key as soon as the start-up chime is heard

The installer will eventually appear, you can either select Disk Utility from the top menu and erase the disk, or let the installer do an erase and install

Depends on how much security you want, using Disk Utility to erase the drive first gives you more overwriting options

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.