Powerbook Display not as crisp as others...

• Thread starter MichaelSullivan
  • Start date
M

MichaelSullivan

So I'm standing on the edge of purchasing a new 15" powerbook, and one last caveat is in my way: the display. Will Apple ever introduce display technology better than conventional LCD?

Apple features conventional LCD
Sony models feature LCD with x-brite technology
HP/ Compac feature LCD with Brightview
Toshiba models feature TruBrite

This flash file demonstrates Sony's x-brite technology pretty well, but in short its two sources for lighting plus a display filter that looks like a sheet of glass in front of the LCD display. Conventional LCD has one source for output, and no filters between the LCD screen and your eyes. http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/lc/flash/demos/cpu/xbrite/XBRITE_V51.swf

What the difference is: Sharper contrast, brighter colors, whiter whites, blacker blacks. Sure, the powerbook display is good compared to any laptop with a conventional lcd screen, but compare it to a monitor/ x-brite/ briteview screen and you'll see the difference immediately. Play a DVD on each system for even more proof.

I sat in the computer store and ajusted the brighness/ contrast settings of a 15" G4 to no avail. I used the advanced calibration, but still couldn't get it even close to x-brite/briteview. I've been working on a Sony Vaio for the last five years and I'd hate to purchase a superior laptop (mac g4) with an inferior display (conventional LCD).

Any word on Apple upgrading the display technology to match its competitors?

(Yes, I know I'm going to get comments like: "conventional LCD looks fine", "It doesn't bother me", "it looks good enough" etc. But, for the price that Apple puts on its laptops, you'd expect more than conventional LCD.)

OP
C

Cloudane

It's not just "good enough", but the best display I've seen. Have you actually stood the Powerbook and the Sony/HP models side by side and compared them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
MichaelSullivan said:
But, for the price that Apple puts on its laptops, you'd expect more than conventional LCD[/size]

It's not the best LCD you can get, but it is exceptionally high quality. And rest of the features of the Powerbook ain't to shabby for the price now are they?

OP
M

myjay610

johnnyluu said:
It's not the best LCD you can get, but it is exceptionally high quality. And rest of the features of the Powerbook ain't to shabby for the price now are they?

Haha, not shabby at all, my Powerbook smokes most computers I use. With the exception of the personally built desktop's I've seen. Yet.. the powermac will take care of them.. :robot:

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

Cloudane said:
It's not just "good enough", but the best display I've seen. Have you actually stood the Powerbook and the Sony/HP models side by side and compared them?

I was ready to purchase the 15" G4 powerbook UNTIL I put it beside a sony vaio with x-brite. That stopped me dead in my tracks, as there is a major difference in quality between conventional LCD and the newer technologies. Then I noticed how many other laptops in the shop had more advanced screen technology.

As I mentioned, compared to other conventional LCD screens, the powerbook's screen looks great. Compared to a screen with x-brite/brightview its not even close to comparable. Simply put, the powerbooks conventional LCD is lagging behind current LCD technology, and is far from 'the best display' out there.

I'm not convinced yet that the price warrants less than the best screen display, especially since they average about $500 more than a similarily configured laptop with x-brite/briteview.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
I have to admit the xbrite screens are amazingly crisp compared to the powerbooks. I have an 12 inch ibook and i initially thought that the lcd was inferior to comparable windows notebooks. it seemed very dull and not so crisp. however, now that i own it i admit the lcd is A LOT better, sharper and crisper than I thought. I think it has to do with the fact Apple lcd's don't really seem amazing in store lighting. That being said, sony and toshiba's have amazing lcd's but going for a powerbook is based on using the mac os and its software. i also find the graphics and font smoothing look better on a mac than windows. likewise, both choices are excellent.

Reaction score
PB displays have never impressed me as being amazing, but some of the Sony displays do.

OP
C

code777

a friend of mine bought a VAIO from the Sony Co. Store and I hate to say it, the LCD is far superior than the PB's. Bar none. I think the VAIO might out-do a Powerbook in certain aspects as much as that pains me to say. But yeah. X-Brite has amazing clarity.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

Computer.Geek said:
...however, now that i own it i admit the lcd is A LOT better, sharper and crisper than I thought. I think it has to do with the fact Apple lcd's don't really seem amazing in store lighting. ...i also find the graphics and font smoothing look better on a mac than windows.

I agree with this. A co-worker of mine recently purchased the 15" G4 1.5ghz, and by itself the display is very acceptible, looking much better than it does in a local Comp USA. I've also heard that the overall graphics rendering on a mac is far superior, hence the photo/ video editing following that Mac has going for it.

I appreciate all the comments.

OP
E

Echo_

ya the xbrite technology is crazy.. but u should see the sharp laptops.... even BETTER

OP
R

ryanyogan

Doesnt matter how nice the screen looks, your still looking at an old 1993-94 based design that has no graphical taste whatsoever. I use custom built PC desktops and macs. Just looking at the mac, even an alert box makes me smile. I can not say anything on windows XP looks remotly good, not to mention the choppy motion. No it is not my computers either, we are talking trinitron screens with PCI xPress x800 video card in one and a 9800 PRO in the other.. So don't feel down on the screens, they are clear and sharp but they are staring at one ugly os behind it!

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

ryanyogan, I think you may be confused. this isn't a thread on Mac OSX verus wintel anything, or the hardware behind it. This is about the display, and how it appears. And the displays of x-brite/trubright/brightview are much more clean, clear, and crisp than the PB's conventional LCD. That was my point.

OP
C

Cloudane

Interesting. Well, it's true that Apple seem to lag behind a little on some technology... perhaps because they like to wait and be sure they can do it to their standard. I'm not sure on this, but didn't they only just recently get bluetooth support?

I'm sure we'll see similar displays on time for the G5 Powerbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Oh no.. they've had bluetooth support for a long time :)

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

and I thought that Mac/ Apple was very aggressive in pursuing new technologies... like Bluetooth.

OP
R

ryanyogan

I understand the thread very clearly, I guess I am just sick of starring at windows. For the most part most companies are just putting a non glare peace of plastic over there LCD's, and I beleive sony has put another light at the top of the screen, correct me if I am wrong. One thing you must notice about these displays is how much thicker they are to compensate for the extra layer, this would mean apple would have to redesign there latch and LCD casing. This would not be an easy little update, you will most likely see this technology on the next set of notebooks, like the transformation from tiBooks to aBooks and the clam shell iBook to the white ones.... Rest assured when apple does adopt this new screen you can bet your money that it will look more crisp and thinner than all the other brands. Theres talk of sony selling HDTV's in the apple stores soon as well, perhaps apple might adopt HD screens in all there notebooks thanks to sony, you never know. However mentioned the sharp notebooks, they are truly amazing screens, as well as some of fujitsu's screens, and that new HD screen from hp for like 1,200 at bestbuy is even amazing! But the graphics is integrated Intel 2 extreme HAHAAH Thats a real kick in the face there, people say apple lacks in the GPU department, look at what most similar priced notebooks are using, integrated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
i think my pbook i just got today is ok.. i think with a little bit of calibrating it'll be just right

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

I'm happy with my PB. It does what I need it to do. If apple designs a better LCD, I'd get rid of my TV, sell my 15" PB, and get a 17" PB and use that as my "entertainment system" :grin:

OP
E

Eleven

Well the way I see it Apple is a guerrilla fighter, using whatever he/she can get for the right price as far as peripherals.

I remember ATAPI or SCSI HDs and CD drives interfaces when PC where already using SATA.

Apple is a relatively small company that has HUGE creativity for what matters most but isn't up to date as far as some moot points are concerned.

My 17" Toshiba laptop is as crisp as I can wish and if a PB 17 equals it I will be a happy camper.

But I just got rid of 200+ spywares and 5 viriis on my work PC while my PowerPC G5 doesn't even know what a virus is.

I'll trade a stable, efficient OS over a fancy display any day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.