Upgrading Ram on 24" iMac

Reaction score
Hi,

i want to upgrade my Ram and just have 2 questions.

1) I have 2GB now and want to add 2Gb more. Do I have to add 2 1Gb or can i add just 1 2Gb? Does it matter?

2) does the Mhz have to match up? The Ram i use now is 677mhz, but most of the RAM I've seen is 800mhz.... can i combine them or does it all ahve to be the same Mhz?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Speed of the ram should match. Add 1x2gb and you are good to go at 667 mhz. I will this week also as it is on sale in Toronto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
If you have 2 GB now you probably have 2 x 1 GB, if it is the original Apple installed RAM. In order to get 4 GB, you will HAVE to buy 2 x 2 GB. The RAM in it now will have to come out and be replaced, since there are only two RAM slots in the iMac. 800 MHz RAM will work, it will just run at 667 MHz.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I was just about to ask about the 800mhz. So that will work huh?

I was actually going to replace my RAM with 2 x2Gb anyway, and or on ebay. Because I see 4GB of Kingston RAM on newegg.com for only $46!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.