Problem with External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I have a Western Digital 500gb External Hardrive (USB) and i had it partitioned, half was for backing up, and the rest was for extra storage. Long story short, i deleted the old time machine partition, then dragged the partion thingy down to make all the space go to the one partition so i could use all of it for storage. It did its thing, and then i went to add some more stuff to the drive, and i got the error of not enough space. I went and look, and it had the same amount of space left as it did before and it showed like 245 out of 250 gigs used, and the other partition disappeared. What happened to 250gb of space??? it disapeared!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
What program did you use to reformat? WD app or Disk utility?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my guess is that it's partially complete somehow. you removed the old partition, but the one you wanted to keep is unchanged until you truely repartition the drive. i don't believe this can be done dynamically, i'm pretty sure the drive needs to be completely (and destructively) repartitioned.

OP
S
Reaction score
so wen u say destructevly, are u tlaking about like wiping it out completly, thats what im trying to avoid, i have too much stuff and no were to store while i do this, is there any other way?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, a real repartition is destrcutive, wipes out the disk entirely.

OP
S
Reaction score
does anyone want to le me boroow, ther harddrive with at least 250gigs, jus till i get er done

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.