Installing Office '04 on Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83GHz; iPhone 3G
I'm having trouble installing Office 2004 after upgrading to Leopard. When I try to run the Office Setup Assistant, I get this error message:

"You can't open the application "Office Setup Assistant" because the Classic environment is no longer supported."

When I try to drag Microsoft Office 2004 to the applications folder, I get the error message:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in ".DS_Store" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)" and "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "Microsoft Office 2004" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)"

The disc takes about 4 minutes to load each time I try to click on the setup assistant, move the folder to applications or insert the disc. Is there any other way to install Office 04? I have the 04 disc and 2 product keys left.

Thanks in advance,
Daisy

OP
Daisy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83GHz; iPhone 3G
I'm still having trouble with installing Office on my macbook.

I have another problem as well. If this one can be solved then I won't need to install Office '04 on here anymore. Problem is whenever I try to open Word, PP, Excel or Entourage (Office '08), the Customer Experience Improvement Program appears and asks if I want to participate or not. After clicking one of the options, it brings me to Microsoft AutoUpdate. After checking that there aren't any updates, I close the window and the program I clicked on also closes. Each time I click on one of the four programs, I run through the exact same process. Can someone help me get either Office '08 or '04 running again?

Thanks,
Daisy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I ran Office 04 for a long time on my leopard running macbook without issue. So I have nothing I can add to help resolve the situation.

I would suggest though perhaps contacting the vendor to resolve these issues

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I suggest is to completely remove Office 2004 and Office 2008 from your machine by using the Office uninstaller and reinstall Office 2008 again. If you continue having trouble, you might wish to post your problem in the Mac Office forum which is sponsored by MS. The folks who hang out there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

When Office 2008 was first released there was an issue involving the Office updater but it has been resolved with subsequent updates. There have been 5 updates issued by MS for Mac Office 2008.

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.mspx

Regards.

Reaction score
Same problem solved

I was having the same problem, and it turned out that the ownership of the .DS_Store file in the /Applications folder had changed somehow. When I changed the ownership back to root, I was able to install Office 2004 properly.

To accomplish this you have to open Terminal, because the .DS_Store files don't show up in Finder listings. Open Terminal from the Utilities folder under Applications. You will need to do this from an Administrator account that has a password set -- if you have no password set, the sudo command will exit without doing anything when you press Enter.

First, verify that this is your problem. This will produce a list that shows you the owners of all files in the directory.
cd /Applications
ls -al
Do you see something similar to this? If someuser is anything other than "root", this may be your problem.
-rw-rw-r--@ 1 someuser admin .... .DS_Store
The fix:
sudo chown root .DS_Store
Enter your password when prompted, and you're done. You should now be able to install Office. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.