7 tricks for stack

Reaction score
not sure which section i shud post this under, but i guess this is the best one...
here are some tricks you can try out for stack:

7. Slow Motion Effect

Maybe you’ve already heard about this before, by pressing modifier key Shift and clicking on the stacked folders, you can see your Stack opened in Slow Motion. It’s worth a try.

6. Open Multiple Folders from Stack

Perhaps, when you want to open multiple files from Stack, you usually open your Stack and then open one file at a time. But with the help of Option, you can click on as many folders as you want and all enclosing folders will be opened in separate Finder windows.

5. Stack in Tiger

Folks from Creative Bits pointed out that Stack can be used in Tiger by simply dragging the folder to your Dock and holding down mouse for like 2 seconds will be needed when you want to open the list of files inside that folder.

But I personally haven’t tested this neat trick. So it would be great if some Tiger users can give me useful inputs on this.

4. Drag Stack Out of Dock

By pressing Command while dragging your Stack folder out of Dock, you will make a duplicate of that folder instead of making that particular folder vanish.
3. Stack of Recent Things

This trick is quite old. But since it’s quite useful, I also include it here. Using command line below, you will be able to create new folder on your stack containing recent items.

defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'
killall Dock

2. Stack Highlighting

defaults write com.apple.dock mouse-over-hilte-stack -boolean YES
killall Dock

Executing the command line above will give you mouse over gradient effect for your Stack.

1. Delete All

Surfing around forums, I found out a topic on Mac Rumours that discussed about Delete All button. This button can be placed anywhere and when on click, all files inside the folder will be deleted. This is really useful when put inside your Download folder.

The zip file can be downloaded here

source + screenshots: 7 Tricks for Stack - GBlog

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.