Install External Hard Drive.

Reaction score
This is my first post.

I first tried a search but could not find information relating exactly to my situation.

I purchased two Western Digital hard drives that I have installed in a Dual Enclosure (the make of the enclosure is a MediaSonic, interface USB 2.0). When I purchased the enclosure I mentioned to the salesmen what my purpose was for this set-up. He said he would "mirror" the enclosure for me. I believe he placed the jumper in the appropriate position.

They will be used in my music studio. One will be a "working" drive while the other will be used for back-up.

I need guidance through the install process. The first item I see is "Disk Utility", where do I go from there.

Secondly I would assume I would install the sequencer (Cubase LE), which I currently have on my internal drive, on to the "working" drive. This way I have the complete recording process separate from my internal drive items.

Thank you.

The operating system is:

Imac G5(isight), 10.4.11,

If anymore details is required please ask. I'm new to this type of thing, so I'm very hesitate and caution about trying some of these things without some guidance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
If he setup the enclosure to Mirror (RAID1), then you will only see one drive when you plug it in. RAID1 writes the same information to both drives at the same time so if one fails, all of your data is still available on the second. You will be unable to use one as a "Working" drive and the second as a "Backup" in this configuration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
So long as you do not need the external to be bootable, as PPC machines usually will not boot off USB2 but require Firewire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.