ibook g4 - freezing

Reaction score
Hi all, I am asking for a piece of advice.

Issue: ibook G4/1,2GHz, 12", 1,2 Gb ram, 40 gb hdd ( replaced ), airport card extreme

after exchange of the HDD is finally able to boot,

usually freezes on blue screen after apple logo has come out and rotating sign vanished

sometimes boots normally and I can work on it for some time, and then freezes

I don t know whether it might be caused by the moving of computer (sometimes it freezes when i move it, but sometimes i can carry it from one place to another and it is ok)

I have replaced HDD. regardless if the 1GB RAM modul is in it or out, it behaves the same

I wonder whether it might be caused by power supply, as I charge it by ibook g3 power supply and I use the g3 battery as well

What are your suggestions? Please, give me some advice, I am really at my wits´ end. :'(

Reaction score
sounds like exactly the same problem I had... when it freezes and bluescreen is there, does the fan get VERY loud? I had the same problem on start up as well.. I had the G4 ibook 12" PPC 1.2ghz, 40gb and 1gb ram.

Common fault is dry soldering joints to the video display chip as it sits in the logic board.

Here are a couple of site...

How to fix your broken G4 ibook motherboard | Macintosh How To

iBook G4 Logic board repair (Vreg chip solder joint repair)

I didn't solder to fix mine... i read an EASIER solution... you can place a 'rubber foot' (like you get on the bottom of a laptop) on the chip, then push the black cord back on top (see http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/iBookG4_vreg_repair/IMG_1.jpg ) and then reassemble the laptop.

The pressure of the case holds the chip down and it worked fine for me! I sold the laptop to my friend and he hasn't had a problem with it almost 2 years now!

Good luck!

OP
K
Reaction score
so ... I thought that it colud be that chip under black cable, I gave it to my friend, he recast that place .. but still the same ... He think that could be the GPU ... I put shirm from top on it .... beetween GPU and heatshink ... It works about an hour but then freez again :( .... Can it be because he get warm ? warm ?

I placed shirms on different places from the bottom side of logic board ... but the most powerful was, when I placed shinrm between heatshink from top ..

ps: sorry my english :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.