• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best Youtube capturing apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini 2Mg ram & Macbook same both Intel 10.5
Hi Guys,
Newbie to group here!
Salutations!

I am looking for a couple of App's to try to capture youtube and Google video's to my hard drive that I can port to iPod.

Hopefully you can spare a line or 2 of your exp of the app's goodness.. even a 1-10 scale of usefulness. 1=crap, 10 = phenomenal ..

Cheers from downunder,
Denis of Oz

Reaction score
You don't even need an app when your watching a video using safari go to Window>Activity> Go to the youtube drop down and look for the largest file and then double click it and it should download. Then go to the file in which it was downloaded (usually downloads folder) and rename to anything you want with an extension of .flv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
What dbnoise and Toyman said above me are both easy ways to do it. If you want to use an app, TubeTV always worked well for me, but now I use the Safari thing because its just a bit easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook running OSX Leopard.
the aforementioned ways are great ways of getting youtube videos, but i use a program called Tooble. It gets the video, encodes it in iPod format, and adds it to iTunes automatically. Might wanna check it out!...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
You don't even need an app when your watching a video using safari go to Window>Activity> Go to the youtube drop down and look for the largest file and then double click it and it should download. Then go to the file in which it was downloaded (usually downloads folder) and rename to anything you want with an extension of .flv

what are u saying exactly not able to understand ...drop down????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Heya Mightygem, do you know of a trusted one for firefox by any chance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Sorry, don't use Firefox very much, so haven't tried any of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27" 2.66.GHz 16GB RAM
Thanks Mightygem - just what I needed

Reaction score
yourtube, through cydia, is excellent.

However, my copy disappeared when I upgraded from 3.2 - 4.2.1 and installed redsnow.
....still working on that....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, MacBook Pro 15", 2GHz 8GB 500GB, iPhone 4s
Something has changed

I used to be able to capture YouTube videos using the activity window and downloading the large file.

This does not work anymore as YouTube apparently breaks down the file and sends it in smaller packets that are not readily identified.

Has anyone found a work-around for this problem?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, MacBook Pro 15", 2GHz 8GB 500GB, iPhone 4s
Thanks Bob,

This works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.