G5 Advice needed please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1Ghz
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a G5 with 2.3 dc and 4.5 gbs of ram with out liquid cooling. And It kicks the crap out of my old pc. I would personally stay away from water cooling, just my from fear of something happening, But i do not have much experience with Mac's at all. This is my first Mac and I freaking love it! Get one!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am in the market for a G5 power mac and I need one as my Athlon 64 based PC and my emac are on their last legs. I have seen this one on ebay: Apple Powermac G5 2.7Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 250Gb HD, DVD-RW on eBay, also, PowerMac, Apple Macintosh, Computing (end time 04-Feb-09 12:12:52 GMT) and I do not know whether it is a good idea to buy it as I have heard of problems with the liquid cooling system. Could somebody point me in the right direction please.

Thanks in advance

Well...a Buy It Now price of $550 British pounds (about $800 USD)...is a fairly good deal for a dual 2.7ghz G5 (at least within the United States market).

But personally, with the G5 & PowerPC design soon to be obsolete (at least from the OS updates perspective & new program software eventually will be Intel only) I would not purchase it.

I would say, save a little more money, and get a used Mac Pro (I purchased mine for $1050 USD).

Just my 2 cents,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bear in mind Snow Leopard is on the horizon and requires Intel multi core ( we believe ) so you may be better off looking for an Intel such as a Mac Pro.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1Ghz
Thanks although mac pros are really quite expensive by comparison to their powerpc ancestors and as such I do not know whether I would be able to afford it as I am to quite a strict budget for my next mac and although being a mac enthusiast would probably have to go for a vista based PC. Do you know anywhere I could get a mac pro for less than ebay as I live about five miles away from the nearest apple shop but I would not be looking to spend more than about a thousand pounds on a new mac or PC and I need something with that amount of power.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1Ghz
In saying having to go for a vista based PC that is probabl;y the only real option or is it possible to run OSX on an AMD based PC?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I live about five miles away from the nearest apple shop but I would not be looking to spend more than about a thousand pounds on a new mac or PC and I need something with that amount of power.

1000 pounds is equivalent to $1438 USD. As I mentioned earlier...I purchased my used Mac Pro for $1050 USD (730 Pounds), with 3 gigs of ram & a X1900 video card.

This was a very good deal...and I'm not saying that this sort of deal is easy to come by. But I bet that if you "keep an eye" on e-Bay UK, your local Craig's List(s), and your local newspapers...some used Mac Pro opportunities should surface in the $1438 USD (1000 pounds) range.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
It's not a bad price to be honest. I sold my DP 2.7GHz with 2.5Gb RAM, 400Gb HDD and 9650XT 256Mb Radeon GPU for £550 BIN.

RAM is so cheap for those things, 6Gb will cost about £130!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.