Can´t delete time machine file (inProgress) from external hard drive

Reaction score
I have foolishly moved a time machine back-up file from my external drive to trash. My problem is now that I cannot delete it properly from trash. Moreover, I my external hard drive is acting up. I can´t eject the drive, I can´t write to it and I can´t delete or repair it from Disc Utility.

The file in the trash has got ...inProgress and I have tried to empty trash with normal empty, secure empty and through Terminal.

Time Machine has been set to off all the time.

Any ideas on how I can solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Reboot without the external drive connected and try empty the trash then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
What is in the trash will not be in the trash if you reboot without the drive connected. Even though you have sent those files to the trash they are still stored on the external HD. I have deleted TimeMachine files before. Last time I did it, it said there were like 200,000 files to delete and it took hours to prepare and delete them. I am in the process of clearing off that drive and making a smaller partitions for TM so it will delete the file itself when that partition gets full. So you computer is probably compiling the information for deleting and only appears to hung up. But who knows...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.