MDD G4 PSU failed... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
Hi all,

I have a dual 867 pmg4 and its power supply has failed.
I am posting to basically see what my options are as apple's cost of these units is ludicrous.

ebay-has nothing at the current time

does any other model of pm g4 have the same power supply ?

are there third party units that will do the job?

any help would be greatly appreciated, its a great machine- just not getting power any more.

Thanks for your input all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did this basic mod on a Sparkle 350 Watt PC Power Supply for my G4 Digital Audio. Here is a URL with a link to the instructions how to convert a PC power supply to work in a Quicksilver. Hope this helps.

The URL is most of the way down the page where someone asks for a URL to his instructions.

Only thing I did different is a pair of Diodes in a Voltage Doubler configuration to boost the 5VSB Switching Voltage up to around 16 VDC which is closer to what Apple uses. On the DA it always powers on that way.

Which G4 power macs will take a PC power supply? - MacNN Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.