questions before switch to mac

A

alexaltair

Hello. I'm considering to buy a mac soon. But first I want to get the answers to these questions :flower: :

1. a bit more info is needed on eMac display. Does it "has" TCO'95 and MPR-II
(standart for monitor radiation :radioacti )?

2. what audio quality eMac has (using external speakers)?

3. how audio on eMac comparable to Sound Blaster Live! sounds quality (if it possible to compare at all)? The "features" of Live! series doen't matter me (EAX, 5.1 config. etc...)

3. eMac display is capable to hold at last 90Hz at 1024x... resolution?

4. OS X has multilanguage typing support. Right? I need hebrew and russian languages.

5. Quicktime has these codecs: divx, ac3... Right?

6. OS X on eMac is adapted version to it? Is it worth to wait until "Tiger" will be available with eMac or it would not be a problem to install Tiger later?...

7. There wouldn't be a problem to share my ADSL (ethernet modem) connection on eMac with PC (using the router). Mmm?

8. No problem to "read" pictures from any digit camera using flash reader. Right?

9. I have two sticks of memory already:
Kingston Value RAM KVR400X64C3/256...256MB PC3200 CL3 184-Pin DIMM.
Can I put them to eMac and the one stick (256MB) from eMac to PC?

Thanks to everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
alexaltair said:
Hello. I'm considering to buy a mac soon. But first I want to get the answers to these questions :flower: :

1. a bit more info is needed on eMac display. Does it "has" TCO'95 and MPR-II
(standart for monitor radiation :radioacti )?

2. what audio quality eMac has (using external speakers)?

3. how audio on eMac comparable to Sound Blaster Live! sounds quality (if it possible to compare at all)? The "features" of Live! series doen't matter me (EAX, 5.1 config. etc...)

3. eMac display is capable to hold at last 90Hz at 1024x... resolution?

4. OS X has multilanguage typing support. Right? I need hebrew and russian languages.

5. Quicktime has these codecs: divx, ac3... Right?

6. OS X on eMac is adapted version to it? Is it worth to wait until "Tiger" will be available with eMac or it would not be a problem to install Tiger later?...

7. There wouldn't be a problem to share my ADSL (ethernet modem) connection on eMac with PC (using the router). Mmm?

8. No problem to "read" pictures from any digit camera using flash reader. Right?

9. I have two sticks of memory already:
Kingston Value RAM KVR400X64C3/256...256MB PC3200 CL3 184-Pin DIMM.
Can I put them to eMac and the one stick (256MB) from eMac to PC?

Thanks to everyone.

1. Couldn't tell you. These aren't readily advertised things.
2. It's all right. Nothing to write home about. I personally wouldn't listen to music on it, but it's not awful. It's probably as good as or better than most internal monitor speakers.
3. As far as I know. It has good resolution. For a CRT screen it's great quality.
4. OS X has a huge number of language packs built right in, as well as multilingual keyboard layouts programmed into the OS. You're on your own finding an actual keyboard with the letters printed on, but you can type in other languages with the keyboard layouts, so long as you know how to.
5. Quicktime doesn't build in codecs other than its own proprietary ones, but you can download them quite easily.
6. If you need the computer now, you need it now. Waiting 'till Tiger isn't going to help you that much. Upgrading should not be a problem.
7. I've never had problems sharing. It sometimes depends on your router, but from my experience it's virtually seameless. The only problem is when you try to enable a WEP key for the Windows computers and wirelessly connect with the Mac. Other than that, it's pretty smooth.
8. Here you may run into some problems. Macs are picky about what sort of RAM you put into them. They like higher quality kinds, like Corsair, Crucial, or Apple/Samsung's official brand. It's best to just buy RAM that's specifically guaranteed to work in the computer. I believe eMacs use PC2700 by default. I've heard you can put higher speed RAM in, and the computer will simply downgrade it to work, but it's generally not worth the risk or trouble.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
http://www.apple.com/emac/specs.html

1024x768 @ 90 Hz, 1280x960 @ 75 Hz, 16" viewable flat CRT (my daughter has one and they are good quality monitors).

Audio quality from the earphone socket will be as good as any other computer out there, put it this way if you like the iPod audio then you'll like the eMac output (althouh not from the built in speakers, as in every built in speaker I've ever hear they suck).

If you want better audio quality then get a USB Audio thingummyjig.

Further details can be found under the support tab on the apple site but I did find TCO-95 mentioned in the more detailed specs. (I dunno what it means but it's there ;))

What else? Flash reader? Depends on what Flash reader you have, check to make sure it is supported first if it is that important, personally I just plug my cameras in and don't bother with a separate reader.

Amen-Moses

OP
T

Tiranis

Well as far as I believe it is TCO99 now, isn't it? Well anyways I know that Apple is listed as manufacturer who fully supports these recommendations, so even though it is not advertised anywhere they do respect them.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Tiranis said:
Well as far as I believe it is TCO99 now, isn't it? Well anyways I know that Apple is listed as manufacturer who fully supports these recommendations, so even though it is not advertised anywhere they do respect them.

TCO 99 adds energy efficiency to TCO 95 (which is stricter than MPR-II so if something is TCO 95 or 99 compliant it will also by definition be MPR-II % TCO 92 compliant).

"Energystar" is another energy efficiency requirement similar to that added by TCO 99, eMacs have TCO 95 + Energystar so I'm not sure if that makes them TCO 99 as well.

I love the www, I get to learn lots of new completely useless information every day. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
T

Tiranis

Amen-Moses: Yeah, I read about this stuff a month ago when I was wondering the same thing. But as I dont need it, I forgot most of it. But as far as I know they are TCO99... or maybe not. Well, anyway they are TCO95. Period.

But I wanted to say something on the eMac, as far as I am concerned, right now it is not very good to buy an eMac as it may get an update soon and it is probably a bit too expensive after the mini came out, but that's just me. Correct me if I'm wrong. :-/

Ok I've made a comparison:
Superdrive eMac 1.25GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme costs $1,203.00 (US).
Superdrive Mini 1.42GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme, plus the wired keyboard and mouse, so it has all the same as the eMac, costs $931.00 (US).

Ok let's go on newegg.com and see what kind of LCD we can get for 272 bucks (you can get 19" acer now for 300, but i don't like acer, so let's find some other brand). ;) After a while I got about thirty 17" LCDs in the price range, I like this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-341&depa=1 . Seems to have good properties and reviews are good, maybe someone else has something to say about ViewSonics. :-/ Anyway, as far as I can tell it is better to get a Mac mini and 17" LCD from your local computer shop... heh, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.