Problem opening windows in certian programs

Reaction score
(not sure what the prefix is for, btw. so i put 10.00)

hey all, normally i'm not much of a forum-type, but i've started experiencing problems with a couple programs.

i downloaded a flash program (they call it a widget but it isn't for the mac's dashboard) that lets me stream news and music about a certain videogame. the at first it worked fine but now, whenever i open it, it appears in the top-right most corner of the screen and i cant drag it out of there. i tried messing with all kinds of settings; screen size, appearance and desktop settings, even uninstalling and reinstalling, but i still get it.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/robert-salem/Picture1.png

now i've noticed the same happens on msn, when people open new chat windows. though i can drag those windows out easier by click on the left edge of it.

is there a way to temporarily remove the mac toolbar at the top of the screen? i know i can drag it out if that's not there. if not, is there anything else i can do?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can try deleting the program's plist file.

You could also try installing either Onyx or MainMenu and doing some system maintenance, clearing out old cache and things.

You could try uninstalling it by using either AppDelete or AppZapper. These will also look for the preference files that are typically left behind when you simply drag an app to the trash.

It would help if you told us the name of the flash program and where we can get it. It's kind of hard when we're working in the dark.

Have you been using dual monitors and had these apps on the 2nd monitor when you disconnected it or shut down?

OP
R
Reaction score
EDIT: sorry, double post.

EDIT: hey, appzapper did the job. thank you for the help! its a shame this program come with limited uses though. is there any program that is available for free?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The developer of that widget has designed it wrong. It somehow allows you to drag and drop it off the screen. You'll notice in general on a Mac, that the cursor will not move even into the Menu bar while dragging most apps. And even when not dragging something, the cursor doesn't move off the screen. So, with this one, once you let it go above the screen, there's no way to get it back.

Can tell you that AppDelete did not find the preference file with this particular app while, as you found AppZapper did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.