Extracting Audio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In OS 9 (and earlier) there were some terrific sounds in games and applications. It was possible to extract those sounds using ResEdit, and then convert the file to a suitable format.

I know how to add sounds to the OS X library (.aiff format). Does anyone recall the name of any third-party applications that extracted audio from games, for use as desired. I used to be able to make my G3 give a blood-curdling scream as an alert sound, or I could have it start up with a very sensual female voice.

OS X system sounds are a big yawn, and I'd like to liven things up with some game sounds. There's a paucity of free sound files available from the internet. Any ideas anyone? Thanks .... Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
that takes me back a bit, i remember an app caled sound converter, but am not sure if the modern version does this

otherwise this might help

Riccisoft - SoundExtractor

you have macs capable of running classic, so it may work

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
that takes me back a bit
No question, nostalgia isn't what it used to be ;). I know I've mentioned this in passing before, but memory becomes more fickle with advancing years.

I remember an app called sound converter, but am not sure if the modern version does this
There's an X version of it which I use with Tiger, an excellent application.

There was an application for OS 9, which I bought and whose name I cannot recall, that could divide an application into its two forks, resource and data. Sound files could be isolated and saved to a chosen destination. I had hours of fun pulling sound from arcade games, also from serious games like Marathon. All that stuff is out of the 'legal' grey area nowadays (a shame a Marathon for X wasn't developed). Then there was CanOpener, but one couldn't save individual files from that.

otherwise this might help Riccisoft - SoundExtractor. You have macs capable of running classic, so it may work
Thanks Louishen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL guys neither are mirrors what they used to be in my experience!!

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right Harry, never believe a mirror!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.