Damaged case

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a problem with his mac mini, a auto battery fell on to the top and squashed it:Grimmace:

Now I have no knowledge of macs, but managed to get it to boot off a external usb hdd with leopard on it with a friends help, so i'm guessing the mac's fine but it wouldnt find the internal hdd.

If the drive was taken out of the mini (no easy task i'm guessing!) how could i get the data off. would it work as a slave in a pc tower

btw the optical drive is toast, took the full hit of the battery, just hoping data can be saved:Shouting:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can remove the internal drive, place it in an external USB case and attach it to another Mac to extract the data from it. Without a third party software driver, Windows can not read nor write to a drive formatted to HFS+. (Mac format.)

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks, i was kinda hoping against that answer:Oops:

two more questions;

1. How do I extract the drive from the mini
2. where do i get a driver from?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
thanks, i was kinda hoping against that answer:Oops:

two more questions;

1. How do I extract the drive from the mini
2. where do i get a driver from?

1. How to disassemble a mini here.

2. MacDrive 7 for Windows here.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones help, very much appreciated.

I'll probably not need to use this forum again, so once again thanks guys:D

Reaction score
Not to change the subject but he did say he was done with this post and what I have to ask kind of relates to this subject.
:Cool:

I have an older g5 2.7 ghZ that took a dump on me Powersuplie and mother board. I am going to part it out on e-bay but have decided to keep the hard drives.

My question is what aftermarket hardware can I buy so I can use the internal hard drives as an external on my mac pro3.0 ghZ as I have 5 + years of me on them and need to get to the information at times.

Thanks and thanks for a great forum....I will now do a search and see if I can answer my own question. :[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.