• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Time Lapse Video

Reaction score
So I want to make a video for a class of mine where it is time lapsed, but I didn't know what software to use or if you need a special camera. I have a mini dvr camera, but I didn't know if that would work or if you only needed specific software. I'd really appreciate it because I have to make this video by next Friday. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
usually time lapses are made using a setting in the camera. but if you wanted to use software just record with your camera for a given amount of time and speed it up as fast as you can in imovie export reimport and speed up again until it is as fast as you want to make it. I don't think imovie will allow you to do it in one shot.. but maybe you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
Definitely check your camera's settings first. Most Prosumer cameras will have it. If you have final cut you could always just hook up a camera and do a crash record straight into it. Then adjust speed as necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I used iStopMotion 2 to create this creation.

It wouldn't be quite the same, but perhaps filming something and then applying the fast of the fast/slow/reverse effect in iMovie HD would do the trick. Then remove the high pitched audio track and put something nice in.

If you have iMovie 08, not 09, I think this link will still download iMovie HD 6.0.4. EDIT: Seems that link doesn't work now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually iMovie HD has a built-in time lapse feature:

Hook up your firewire DV cam, and the arrow button just underneath the camera toggle switch on the left should let you set it up to take an image every x intervals.

Perhaps someone can find a better description somewhere, but that's the way it worked with the built-in iSight camera.

EDIT: Here you go: CreativeTechs Tips: Create time-lapse videos with iMovie HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I used iStopMotion 2 to create this creation.

It wouldn't be quite the same, but perhaps filming something and then applying the fast of the fast/slow/reverse effect in iMovie HD would do the trick. Then remove the high pitched audio track and put something nice in.

If you have iMovie 08, not 09, I think this link will still download iMovie HD 6.0.4.
You're a brave man leaving your MacBook Pro strapped into the front seat while you went inside the gas station ;)

Turned out nice though - great job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You're a brave man leaving your MacBook Pro strapped into the front seat while you went inside the gas station ;)

Brave or stupid, I'm not sure. :Oops: I didn't leave my truck out of site except to bathroom breaks. Also, the laptop had a lock connected to it.

Turned out nice though - great job!

Thanks. It was a fun project. I'm thinking of doing at least one more for a Vancouver city drive. I think I'll wait for the winter potholes to be fixed first. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM; Mac Pro, dual 30" cin. mon.
Nice video. I was curious about the reference to the "external iSight" camera used to film this time lapse. You didn't use the camera on the laptop itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice video. I was curious about the reference to the "external iSight" camera used to film this time lapse. You didn't use the camera on the laptop itself?

The camera on the MBP couldn't see over the dash. ;) It was in the passenger seat belted in.

I have an external iSight and appropriate long firewire cable. I used a stretchy bungy cable to fix the camera to the pivot point of the visor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.