Illinois students begin to receive iBooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Illinois students begin to receive iBooks
September 9, 2003 - 12:35 EDT The Schaumburg, Illinois iBook program, which we noted in February, is kicking off this month with 1,735 laptops going to seven schools -- another 1,735 will be distributed in spring and 1,735 more in fall 2004. "By fall 2004, each fourth- through sixth-grader in northwest suburban School District 54 will get an Apple iBook to use both in school and at home -- about 5,200 computers total," reports the Chicago Sun-Times. "The program has a total budget of $6.6 million, including hardware, wireless Internet access for classrooms and 21 digital video cameras."

My Comments: Ok they are all spoiled! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Your telling me, CA kids, Kids all around the world gettin a free laptop

BS!!!!

I gues they are just borrowing them for work then return them at the end of the year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
well, S#!+. i wish i was one of them. that is a bunch of crap! in that area, their parents can afford an ibook for them with out someone providing it to them. that is if it is where i think it is. i could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Schaumburg is not an affluent suburb of Chicago. There's an incredible amount of retail business there, so the income from sales tax is enormous. Clearly, the school district is getting in on it, and I say "good for them."

I live a couple towns over and asked my kids what they thought-- my 13 year old said she'd be surprised if half of the iBooks came back (and usable) at the end of the year.

J

JSchultz

***? he dragged a thread that's 2.5 years old up to give his opinion? Bogus.

Schaumburg isn't relatively affluent though. There's pockets, but not as a whole. Lincoln Park, maybe ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i feel robbed. he has done this before. i think he needs some time in bansville.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I really wouldn't expect it in Lincoln Park-- you're talking City of Chicago schools there.

I would expect it in Lake Forest, Winnetka, Barrington... places where John Hughes movies are made. :)

And I had no idea this was that old of a thread.

L

lil

Hehe, when I had been over there I went through some areas that made me feel a little twitchy, and man the smells on 49th (trying to remember from memory now!) street were yeeeeuck!

I only noticed the thread was so old when I had begun typing a long reply to something else that was of a similar age, which you know -- should have looked at the date first but narked me a little so I have been paying a lil more attention to it lately :flower:

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.