iTunes movies and TV shows on external music on internal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Is there a way to move just my movies and TV shows to an external drive, while still allowing iTunes to know where they are, while keeping my music on my internal drive? I have about 45GB of movies, 54 GB TV shows and 33GB music. My ideal plan yould be to keep my music on the internal drive, my movies on one external 80gb drive and my TV shows on another 80gb drive. Is this at all possible? I've looked around and all i can seem to find is something about separate libraries.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
My other option is to buy a 500GB drive and copy everything over with carbon copy cloner or something and switch the drives. That is as far as I can tell, a $150 way of doing things. Then again my 320GB cost that much a year ago!

Reaction score
yes there is but i need to know if you bought these tv shows and movies from itunes or ripped them from DVD.

if you did buy them from itunes it should be as simple as creating an alias for the movie.

if you ripped them from dvd, the process is a little more complicated but works just as well.

you will need to purchase quicktime pro and install a script into itunes

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I have qt pro and my tv shows are bought and my movies are backups of discs I have.

Reaction score
ok. do you have AIM?

the tv shows you can just place on your external drive in a folder, alias it, and your good to go.

to get the movies to play in itunes. place them on you external drive, then youll have to open them all up in QT Pro, save as a reference file, and save the reference file in your movies folder on the system drive, you then add that file to itunes and all it simply does is create a small 2-3mb itunes compatible file that tells itunes where to look on your system for the original file.

if you have any questions, please feel free to email, IM or PM me.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Ok, I'll try it on Monday morning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.