Spilled wine on macbook!

Reaction score
I was sitting on an outside bench at school sneaking a a cup of wine in a Starbucks cup while reading my email. Suddenly, a gust of wind knocked the wine all over my pants and some spilled onto my macbook keys and a little spotted on the display.

instinctively, I turned it off and dried it with my shirt.
Right now I have it upside down at the 90 degree angle and used a lens cloth to clean the display.

So far all looks well and I see no problems. I'm going to keep it off for a few days to be safe.

What's my next step, is there anything I should or shouldn't do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
If you have the skill/confidence to take the computer apart and dry the keyboard and interior on your own, I would do so. It is the only way to ensure the inside is comple tely dry when you boot up.

As I am sure you are aware, sugar is a big problem in terms of it being sticky. Thus, taking the notebook apart will also allow you to get some of that up.

Definitely leave it off for at least a week to be safe (especially if you do not take it apart to dry it out inside) before you boot it up.

Finally, search the forums as this issue has been brought up by a myriad of our forum brethren.

Good luck.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. A spill seems like a scary prospect. I would hate to have it die suddenly in a few weeks. I realized tomorrow is my last day on the 14 day return policy. I'll have to pay the restocking fee but maybe I'll take advantage of that to be safe...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
I can see the Apple Store employee now, "Sir, why would you like to return the MB?". You look him straight in the eye and with a straight face say, "It simply does not go with Pinot Noir". Let us know how that works out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks for the tip. A spill seems like a scary prospect. I would hate to have it die suddenly in a few weeks. I realized tomorrow is my last day on the 14 day return policy. I'll have to pay the restocking fee but maybe I'll take advantage of that to be safe...
The aluminum MacBooks have a water marker inside just below the keyboard that will tell Apple if any moisture was spilled onto the device. Even it it's working now, you may run into issues later on if you ever have to send it in.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm keeping it off for a few days but everything seems fine. It is a white macbook by the way not aluminum.

Should I take it to apple and have them inspect it?

or would this be a stupid idea. Would they keep this incident on file so that I could no longer claim anything under warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm keeping it off for a few days but everything seems fine. It is a white macbook by the way not aluminum.

Should I take it to apple and have them inspect it?

or would this be a stupid idea. Would they keep this incident on file so that I could no longer claim anything under warranty?
If you tell them, then yes, they'll make a note that your serial number is no longer eligible for warranty repairs.

The white MacBooks don't have the indicator stickers AFAIK, so if everything is fine, then you should be okay,

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much you are all very helpful.

I'm just seeing what to do next. Is there anyone you can recommend to inspect it for me? I was planning on upgrading the ram eventually anyway, should I do that through the apple store...maybe when they install it they would notice if anything is terrible nasty in there?

OP
J
Reaction score
So I waited 4 days and finally turned it back on. Everything is working perfectly. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I hate being so uncertain about what will happen to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.