mac pro won't shut down

Reaction score
don't know if this is a hardware or software problem but, I'll try it here.

the problem is my mac pro, running 10.4, will not shut down. from the apple menu, I choose shut down, the computer starts to shut down but stops at the point where all desktop items and the dock are gone yet I still see the desktop. I can still see and move the cursor from the mouse.

I tried

logging out and back in
zapping the pram / vram(?)
ran diagnostic on the drive which came back okay
checked permissions which found and corrected problems

still the only way to shut down the computer is to hold the on/off button. don't know what is going on with this. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Same Thing happened to me. I literally had to wait almost ten minutes before it would shut down. It's only happened to me like twice though, so if it's a recurring thing for you I would just take it in to get looked at. Try leaving it for ten minutes, and if that doesn't work then you can hard boot. Don't ever pull the plug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Happens on my MBP from time to time as well. No idea what it is, but it seems harmless. When I directly cut the power and then reboot, I notice that there is a folder in my trash bin called Recovered Files. Generally there is nothing in it. I have also found that if I leave it for 5 or 10 minutes it shuts down.

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Did as Harryb2448 said and problem is gone.
Thanks Harryb2448

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No problems svcaramia and my pleasure. Great little utility. Also try using MainMenu from time to time for maintenance chores, cleaning and running scripts.

Santa Software | MainMenu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 GHz, Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, Powermac G4 867 GHz
Have you tried a fresh install of Tiger?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.